express 5.50 help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Living_justice

Reaction score
hi guys, would a 5:50 express be ok in a loud metal band?, also live gigs as well, i us my mark 4b, but hes looking to sell his, god knows why :? , pre 500 revision C dual R0255 for it, also how much would he get for it?, thanks guys.

Hi Living Justice, glad to see you here. My parents are from Newport!!!
As an Express 5:50 owner, I'd say probably not this amp in a loud metal band. It is great for cleans and bluesey overdrive, but you would need to use a pedal for ball-crushing gain and recto-type drive. However, it does take pedals well, so my suggestion would be to try it and see. I use mine in a 2-guitar band and the 50 watts is plenty loud enough for what we do. I know that most hard rockers and metal guys like 100 watt amps for that extra headroom; but volume-wise it is only an extra 3db, and it's debateable that with a band those extra db are going to be noticed. On the sale-price of your mates recto, I'm not a recto guy so can't speak to that. All the best, I'm sure you'll have some more responses soon enough.

Cheers,

Richt :D

The 5:50 will not do metal tones unassisted.
If you don't want to use any pedals then don't get a 5:50.
But do you know anyone who never uses any pedals or MFX's - I only know 1 - he's a jazz player.
The 5:50 takes pedals very well & is great for everything else though.

I use express 5:50 and an esp with duncan blackouts. I have an mxr wylde overdrive in front and believe me this sounds pure evil.

Newysurfer said:
But do you know anyone who never uses any pedals or MFX's - I only know 1 - he's a jazz player.
Hey All
Newysurfer, I should be getting my 5:50 today or monday, thanks for your advice on the 5:50 you gave me on the Stombox Forum. I have been thinking of getting a clean boost pedal also that's why I chimed in here. What do you guys think of the RC Booster. I have a feeling this amp will sound outrageous with clean boost and a separate OD pedal of choice, mine is called a Fix MY Duck LOL. I don't come close to heavy metal but if I do I have a cheap rogue pedal that is downright nasty.
Thx
Burnie

Wbfree said:
Newysurfer said:
Hey All
Newysurfer, I should be getting my 5:50 today or monday, thanks for your advice on the 5:50 you gave me on the Stombox Forum. I have been thinking of getting a clean boost pedal also that's why I chimed in here. What do you guys think of the RC Booster. I have a feeling this amp will sound outrageous with clean boost and a separate OD pedal of choice, mine is called a Fix MY Duck LOL. I don't come close to heavy metal but if I do I have a cheap rogue pedal that is downright nasty.
Thx
Burnie
it may be to late but I'm selling my 5:50 for $800, you could save a lot of money if your buying new. I just went with a stiletto ace so I have to sell the 5:50. I know you want to do metal with the 5:50 but, the clean channel is the best part of the 5:50, it's awesome.

jamme61 said:
Wbfree said:
Newysurfer said:
Hey All
Thx
Burnie
it may be to late but I'm selling my 5:50 for $800, you could save a lot of money if your buying new. I just went with a stiletto ace so I have to sell the 5:50. I know you want to do metal with the 5:50 but, the clean channel is the best part of the 5:50, it's awesome.

Jamme61
I already have a 5:50 it just arrived at my door an hour ago, wish I would have known that
Peace
Burnie

that's great! If you read some of my posts you'll see how much I like the 5:50, have fun.

jamme61 said:
that's great! If you read some of my posts you'll see how much I like the 5:50, have fun.

Man, it is way cool, I can see how versatile it is already. A friend of mine who is light years ahead of me in ability played through it and I ran the dials. This thing is exactly, two hours after I got lol, the amp I have been looking for and I don't think that opinion will change down the road.

I am using the g12-65 with it and it sounds great except way down on the bottom as low as you can go, somewhat harsh. You say you play with a red fang? How do you like it, does it stay tight or fart out on the bottom. I have one but haven't hooked it up to try yet.

This a major gas attack, I just bought a scumback speaker and will sell the g12-65, it isn't going to work out, and it is better than the
Tonker. And hey, thanks for the feedback.

Wbfree said:
jamme61 said:

Man, it is way cool, I can see how versatile it is already. A friend of mine who is light years ahead of me in ability played through it and I ran the dials. This thing is exactly, two hours after I got lol, the amp I have been looking for and I don't think that opinion will change down the road.

I am using the g12-65 with it and it sounds great except way down on the bottom as low as you can go, somewhat harsh. You say you play with a red fang? How do you like it, does it stay tight or fart out on the bottom. I have one but haven't hooked it up to try yet.

This a major gas attack, I just bought a scumback speaker and will sell the g12-65, it isn't going to work out, and it is better than the
Tonker. And hey, thanks for the feedback.

Hey Burnie - well done bud.
Enjoy your new toy :lol:

I am in the process of learning how to eq this amp. I don't have the right speaker yet but it sounds great, I am mostly messing with the clean tone right now which I like a lot.

I have to say that I have also pulled the trigger on an amp I heard after I got the 5:50, I am one crazy old man but when you hear sounds like I heard you cannot pass if you can swing it, don't any one flame me, I really like this amp but I will probably have to sell it to buy the other one, which is sad because this really is a great amp.:oops:

The trials of a tone junky never cease to baffle me and keep me penniless. :shock: :roll:

Back