Express 5:25/Tone 5W vs 25W settings

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

espresso

Reaction score
I love the way my Express 5:25 sounds in the 5W setting so much that I want the same tone in the 25W mode. Unfortunately, I can't dial in anything that resembles it. Any ideas on how to achieve something close or another amp suggestion?

Thanks,
Dan

Well it's 2 beasts in 1. The smooth and sweet second harmonic in 5w Single-Ended vs the punchier odd-order third harmonic of Push-Pull.
Unfortunatly I don't know if or which model from Mesa can give you similar sound and having more power using class A Single-Ended...

What channel are we talking about here?

Also can you give us the EQ settings so we have some idea of what sound you use

Just curious since I was looking at the Express line. What's the odd order third harmonic thing of a Push Pull amp? Does this mean the 5:50 in 50 watts is different than a 50 watt regular Mesa head? Very curious...

Thanks in advance,

Rob

robrocks said:
Just curious since I was looking at the Express line. What's the odd order third harmonic thing of a Push Pull amp? Does this mean the 5:50 in 50 watts is different than a 50 watt regular Mesa head? Very curious...

Thanks in advance,

Rob

It is how the Push-Pull circuits is working. It cancel out the sweet second harmonic and which is replaced by the punchier odd-order third harmonic.
If the regular Mesa head is push-pull, the 5:50 should be closer in 50 watt than in 5 watt I do believe.

Pyro said:
What channel are we talking about here?

Also can you give us the EQ settings so we have some idea of what sound you use

I was experimenting specifically with the Crunch setting on Channel 1 but what I mentioned above applies to both settings on both channels. On the Crunch setting my EQ were set as follows.

5W Mode

Gain 12:00; Treble and Mid 12:00; Bass 9:00; No Reverb; Volume 12:00

25W Mode

Gain 10:00 - 2:00; Treble and Mid 12:00; Bass 8:00; No Reverb; Volume 9:00 - 1:00.

Contour in both cases was set at 1:00.

I still like the way the amp sounds in 25W mode but there is this quality in 5W that I can only describe as "earthy" or-- maybe I'm way out in left field with this one but sort of like the difference between drawing with a lead pencil and vine charcoal, vine charcoal being the amp in 5W mode.

Dan

Latest posts

Back