Express 5:25 signal leak - construction flaw?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krek13

Reaction score
Hi, I own a mesa express 5:25 head...I tried to contact mesa support but they just don't reply to my e-mails...

I have a signal leak problem. I keep my tuner pedal connected to the fx loop of the amp. When I engage the tuner it should mute the signal, but a small amount of low volume sound can still be heard from the speaker. The same thing happens when I turn the master volume pot all the way down. Signal is still there, especially on the burn mode.

An amp tech told me that maybe thats normal for the express because of the counstruction of the amp so I'm wondering if any of you that own the same amp noticed that flaw?

Thanks, and sorry for my english, I'm not a native speaker :)

you might not get any responses because most of us put the tuner right in front of the pedal chain. Since the tuner is not a FX, why put it in the loop? You didn't say what kind of tuner you have but try a real effect in the FX loop and see if the same thing happens. Your tuner just might not be made for a FX loop.

Rockerduck said:
you might not get any responses because most of us put the tuner right in front of the pedal chain. Since the tuner is not a FX, why put it in the loop? You didn't say what kind of tuner you have but try a real effect in the FX loop and see if the same thing happens. Your tuner just might not be made for a FX loop.

I put it in the fx loop because I have only delay and chorus so its easier for me...

it's not about the tuner...its just an example...same thing happens when I just plug a cable to the fx loop jack without any pedals (the sound should be muted then)...or when I put the volume pedal in the loop and press it all the way down...

sound can also be heard when I turn the volume of the amp all the way down...

EtherealWidow said:
I have this "problem." Don't really find it to ever be cumbersome though.

ok, so it's a construction problem...I'm a bit dissapointed that mesa didn't fix that flaw...
it's really not a big problem if you put your tuner and your volume pedal in front of the amp...

But it really bothers me because I like to record my ideas by connecting send of the fx loop to my usb audio interface and using a cabinet simulation on my pc....often I do that at late hours when my family is sleeping so it really prevents me from using my amp that way...I'm even thinking of selling it because of that..it's not a cheap amp so that's really not cool...it's my first mesa and I really am dissapointed...maybe I'll make a video and put it on youtube so that folk knows about this...

Dude I record from the FX loop with cab sims all the time. Again, not really cumbersome at all. Have you tried recording that way yet with this particular amp?

I know this isn't what the thread is about, but tuners don't belong in effects loops. You will be able to tune with much greater accuracy if you put it immediately after the guitar.

EtherealWidow said:
Dude I record from the FX loop with cab sims all the time. Again, not really cumbersome at all. Have you tried recording that way yet with this particular amp?

are u even reading my posts? :)
"often I do that at late hours when my family is sleeping so it really prevents me from using my amp that way"...cos there is sound, and at 2am it's a problem...

ifailedshapes said:
I know this isn't what the thread is about, but tuners don't belong in effects loops. You will be able to tune with much greater accuracy if you put it immediately after the guitar.

tried both, accuracy is the same in my case...

the thing is I use only delay and chorus and i put them in the fx loop...if I wanted to put my tuner after the guitar that would mean getting another adapter (because of noise, pedals in the fx loop and in the input need separate power supplies) and one cable more to think about...

It would help if you had posted what kind of tuner you were using, whether true bypass, name brand. This could help others who might have the pedals in question and maybe experienced the same problem and found a cure.

Rockerduck said:
It would help if you had posted what kind of tuner you were using, whether true bypass, name brand. This could help others who might have the pedals in question and maybe experienced the same problem and found a cure.

dude, are you blind or just playing dumb? it's not about a **** tuner or any other pedal!
read the whole topic..and pay attention...jeeeez

Are you just talking about normal tube amp hiss? If so, I noticed a bit more hiss from the 5:25 than I'm getting on the 5:50. If that's the case, the tech was right, it's normal with that amp.

Kello Krek...

Two things that you can do...

OPTION1
buy an attenuator like the THD purple one for 8 Ohms

http://www.thdelectronics.com/product_page_hotplate.html

and set it to load when you want to record....The second benefit is that you can reduce the output level when you're messing around.

OPTION2
Use the SEND Jack to send to your recording hardware like you are used to doing and plug a "SHORTING PLUG" into the RETURN JACK.

You can make a shorting plug by taking a 1/4" Guitar Phone Plug and internally soldering (shorting) the TIP to the Shield connector/ Strain relief.

plug.jpg

Plug that into the RETURN Jack and there will be no Sound coming out of the speaker.

I hope this helps
seeya

Joe

Problem Solved!

a2dconverter said:

yeah, I already thought about buying an attenautor, but gave up on that idea...

so, that shorting plug thing really works?
if it does, you're awesome!! I'll try that, thank you very much, you made my day :!: :)

p.s. do you have the same "problem" with your express?

Krek13 said:
Rockerduck said:

dude, are you blind or just playing dumb? it's not about a **** tuner or any other pedal!

Dude, there's no reason to be a douche just because someone skimmed through your thread. Let's all keep it civil!

ifailedshapes said:
Krek13 said:
Rockerduck said:

Dude, there's no reason to be a douche just because someone skimmed through your thread. Let's all keep it civil!

I see you were skimming through also, 'cus if u didn't you would notice that's his second time talking nonsense and asking dumb questions..I already told him that it's not about the tuner and also bolded the font so my only presumption was that he's blind or just playing dumb :roll: if I'm a douche then what's the name for people that post in the topic they didn't even read? :)

Krek13 said:
a2dconverter said:

if it does, you're awesome!! I'll try that, thank you very much, you made my day :!: :)

Without the shorting plug there is a bit of bleed through the speaker...nothing that's going to wake my wife...she wear's earplugs to bed!

seeya

a2dconverter said:
Krek13 said:
a2dconverter said:

Without the shorting plug there is a bit of bleed through the speaker...nothing that's going to wake my wife...she wear's earplugs to bed!

seeya

:D :D
you taught her well!

if I wasn't on the other side of the planet I'd buy you a beer :)
thanks again, youre the man :!:

I have experienced the same phenomenon. Im my case, I have a Sonic Research Turbo Tuner (which is supposed to be true bypass) first thing in front of my amp. Then I have a Volume pedal in the FX loop. With the tuner bypassed and the volume muted, I still have a small amount of signal come through on the burn mode. My only guess is that signal is backfeeding through ground to a transformer some how.

Hope this helps.

-JUS-

Latest posts

Back