Express 5.25 E-50 speaker not too good!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noodler

Reaction score
Howdy my first post here! I have had my 5.25 1x10 for a couple years and have tried to like the ice picky speaker to no avail. It sounds kinda hi-fi to me like a speaker that should be in a modeling amp or something. Today just for grins I swapped a celestion G-10N-40 watter from a Laney amp I have and it made a great tonal improvement. It isn't even that great of a speaker (not bad) they use them in Orange tiny Terrors too.

Also, I stuck the E-50 Black Shadow into the Laney LC -15R just to see and it made it sound worse too.

Anyone have a better speaker recommendation for rock/blues in a 10" for either the Express or the Laney?

This is an interesting post as I really like the stock 10"er that comes with the 5:25. All speakers have some sort of ice pick qualities but yeah, some are worse than others. I tried a 5:25 with a V30... yuck.

Yes, a very interesting post. I really like the Vin30 in my 5:25, but that just shows that different ears like different tones. Of course all the other variables (guitar, pickups, effects and playing styles) make it very difficult to compare speakers alone. Unless of course you had the resources to swap umpteen different speakers in & out of your own rig. I'm sure I could find something that I would like better than the Vin30, but since I'm happy with my present sound, I'll stand pat.

Tone Tubby Superboy 10, or the standard 10.

Weber Texas or Michigan. California is ok, but not my taste.

EV Force 10 (have to mod the cab to fit)

Celestion G10 Gold

Even the Eminence Delta Demon is better than stock. Remember you cant just swap speakers and leave everything else set the same and expect the new speaker to sound good.......you have to redial everything. I have the Superboy in mine now, and an extension 2x10 with a Superboy and Texas in it. .

Furvel said:
Yes, a very interesting post. I really like the Vin30 in my 5:25, but that just shows that different ears like different tones. Of course all the other variables (guitar, pickups, effects and playing styles) make it very difficult to compare speakers alone. Unless of course you had the resources to swap umpteen different speakers in & out of your own rig. I'm sure I could find something that I would like better than the Vin30, but since I'm happy with my present sound, I'll stand pat.

Well Soundchaser59 has swapped about 20 different speakers in & out of his 5:25 so he's da man on speakers here IMO :mrgreen:

Soundchaser's speaker swapping is a great source of information but there's an important ingredient missing. It would be good to know what kind of music he plays and sound he's after. If he's into metal, for example, his speaker preferences may not be right for someone who's after more vintage tones and vica versa.

Soundchaser, if you're reading, could you tell us more about the the kinds of tones you're after and music you play?

espresso said:
Soundchaser's speaker swapping is a great source of information but there's an important ingredient missing. It would be good to know what kind of music he plays and sound he's after. If he's into metal, for example, his speaker preferences may not be right for someone who's after more vintage tones and vica versa.

Soundchaser, if you're reading, could you tell us more about the the kinds of tones you're after and music you play?

Great point....... I shoulda thought of that myself.

No metal, in fact my acid test question is "Can you get clean sustain outa that thing?"

I grew up on classic rock, but I prefer the punchy and the smoother overdrive sounds ala Steely Dan, Doobies, Chicago, SRV, Joe B, etc....rather than the older "buzzy" sound that I associate with the 60's. Terry Kath, Skunk Baxter, Ritenour, Chuck D'Aloia, Bonamassa, SRV would be some sounds that I would want to emulate.

I use compressors for sustain, but I stick with the low gain OD stuff, Liquid Blues, Butah, Fat Boost, BB Preamp, BD2, and I crank the master, boost the loop, and leave the pregain knobs way down.

Latest posts

Back