EVM 12L - To thiele or not to thiele.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strngbndr

Reaction score
Hello,

When I use this speaker in an open back Mesa combo cab, or in a regular non thiele sealed cabinet, the sound is very bright, and there is not much bass. I think part of the reason is that I am driving this speaker with lower wattage amplifiers, however the speaker seems to have an inherent brightness to it. If I put this speaker is a thiele cabinet, will the overall presence of the speaker be more mellow and balanced with the lower frequency response of the thiele cabinet ? Thanks

Carl.

the thiele cabinet will make the ev sound more even. i have run ev's in thieles and also in a mesa 112 open back. the thiele definately puts out way more bass and has a tighter low end. you will give up the super dispersion of the openbacked cab, but depending on your stage setup this might be a plus or minus for you. i prefer the thiel sound, myself, but a lot depends on the amp you're running. synergy is the word that comes to mind. for example, prime rib and ice cream are both foods that i enjoy, but i wouldn't like them together on the same plate. in other words, your rig has to work together. from what you describe i would think a thiel would be right up your alley. as you already have an ev i think it would be a worthwhile experiment. if you luck up on on old empty mesa thiele for cheap, i would recommend that you install damping inside it. this will help eliminate standing waves and unwanted resonance inside your cab. the result will be clearer sound and tighter bass. good luck.

The 12L in an open back combo is brighter than the 12L in a thiele. If you've already tried it in a closed combo then I don't know what to tell you. It's a really transparent speaker and that comes across as brightness.

You could maybe try an Eminence Delta Pro 12A. They are supposedly darker (smoother) than the 12L. I have not had a chance to try mine out yet.

Victor

Back