EVM 12L speakers

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiac272

Reaction score
Hey,

what's the difference between the mesa labeled EV 12L's and the older ones with no label ( just like 4 lines of type on the back), and the series II?

thanks
scott

The very early EVs had no labels because the labels hadn't been invented yet.
Later, the labels were applied to speakers whose back was visible, as in combos. They wouldn't put a label on an EV destined for a closed-back Thiele cab, for example. There's no difference otherwise.
Never played a Series II.

Thanks
ok, so mesa didn't select certain batches they thought were better to put their name on them... cool

anyone? series II?

scott

zodiac272 said:
Thanks
ok, so mesa didn't select certain batches they thought were better to put their name on them... cool
Wait, what??
So Mesa would not put their label on "inferior" parts, but put them in their amps anyway?

MrMarkIII said:
zodiac272 said:
Thanks
Wait, what??
So Mesa would not put their label on "inferior" parts, but put them in their amps anyway?

You misread the post.

MrMarkIII said:
zodiac272 said:
Thanks
Wait, what??

no, I know that they wouldn't put inferior parts in their amps... I was asking if the mesa branded EV 12L were different from non mesa branded EV12L speakers. Similar to mesa hand picking STR 415's, branding them,... etc... for their amps.

I'm guessing all the original EV12L are the same... mesa branded or not.

scott

Scott,

I was replying to MrMarkIII.
I think he didn't understand your reply in the previous post.

zodiac272 said:
I'm guessing all the original EV12L are the same... mesa branded or not.

scott
I've never read anything that suggested the Mesa-labelled 12-Ls were manufactured to or operated within specs different from non-labelled ones. Of course, the specs for the STR415s WERE defined by Mesa, but only so far as basic operating specs, not manufacturing specs. In other words, the manufacuring process was the same, but Mesa would accept only those tubes that fell within the operating parameters of their fixed-bias circuits.

Back