EVM-12L Classic Reissue??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkofXlnts

Reaction score
Does anyone in the forum use or know how the EVM-12L Classic Reissue speaker stacks up against the originals? I have been reading about the originals and have been thinking about looking into a speaker change, but don't want to do so if it is a waste of time and money.

Would an EVM-12L Reissue speaker add anything to my DC-2 combo or my Thiele cab? What differences in tone can I expect? My Thiele cab has the C-90, and the DC-2 has the stock Eminence Vintage Black Shadow speaker. My amps sound good to my ears right now, but as any guitarist I am always looking for ways to improve my tone. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=21210&highlight=evm+classic

The thiele is designed for the EV and I think it would sound best with that speaker. Maybe you should keep the Vintage in the DC2, though. It is a great sounding speaker to me, but it sounds a lot different than the EV. (We are talking the 50w speaker, not the 150w speaker, correct?)

The EV is high powered, very 'flat' or 'transparent' (as in: does not color the sound like other speakers), and very efficient so it's loud as nuts.

The Vintage Black Shadow is the 50 watt version. I like the sound, I just keep hearing about those EVM speakers so I thought I would research them. I like the sound of the Thiele as-is, but was wondering about the 90 watt Celestion and how it will handle 85 or 100 watts from the Mark IV and the Mark I over the course of time. If the Celestion will hold up just fine, I will probably stick with it since I know I like the sound.

I am also thinking about purchasing another 1x12 cab, either an open back or another Thiele. I know most prefer the combo of Thiele and open back, but I like the sound of the Thiele so much I think I may stack two of them together. If I go that route I will probably not change any speakers. Thanks for the reply and the link.

I put a Mojotone BV 25M (Greenback clone) in my DC-2 and it was a tremendous improvement over the Vintage Black Shadow.

I also tried this with my Studio 22+ when I had that amp and had the same results.

It seemed to remove the blanket from the amp. Both amps sounded good before, but with a different speaker, it was night and day. Much more responsive and tons of sustain. They also seemed to "Sing" more.

As for the EV, I think it would be a waste to put it in a 20 watt amp.

If you had a Thiele with a C-90 and another with the EV, that might sound really good.

Lots of Mark IV's come with the C-90. I don't think there is a problem with longevity. If there were, somebody here would have surely had this problem.

Finally had a chance to A/B an original EV and the classic re-issue.

summary: the original is still better.

the classic sounds very good, both had solid low-end response but the original had more highs & better over-all definition. Remarkable considering the original is 20+ years old.

The only variable in this test was the speaker.

MarkofXlnts said:
Does anyone in the forum use or know how the EVM-12L Classic Reissue speaker stacks up against the originals? I have been reading about the originals and have been thinking about looking into a speaker change, but don't want to do so if it is a waste of time and money.

Would an EVM-12L Reissue speaker add anything to my DC-2 combo or my Thiele cab? What differences in tone can I expect? My Thiele cab has the C-90, and the DC-2 has the stock Eminence Vintage Black Shadow speaker. My amps sound good to my ears right now, but as any guitarist I am always looking for ways to improve my tone. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Any A/B test is going to be inconclusive unless you have an NOS 12L. The '96 EV in my Mark IV, which has mostly been used at house-levels, doesn't sound nearly as tasty as the speaker from my early-90s 1x12, which has had 20-odd years of heavy use (it was in a TriAxis/2:90 touring rack rig before I had it). Even if the 'original' never got discontinued I doubt it'd sound the same out of the box.

well ok, but $ in hand, pretty much all you can get these days is a newer re-issue or an older original, which is what i have. Comparing the two, (identical cabs, etc.) the original sounds like a higher fidelity speaker to me.

zebpedersen said:
Any A/B test is going to be inconclusive unless you have an NOS 12L. The '96 EV in my Mark IV, which has mostly been used at house-levels, doesn't sound nearly as tasty as the speaker from my early-90s 1x12, which has had 20-odd years of heavy use (it was in a TriAxis/2:90 touring rack rig before I had it). Even if the 'original' never got discontinued I doubt it'd sound the same out of the box.

as a follow-up, higher fidelity isn't necessarily better. Lately i've been digging the slightly warmer tone of the re-issue in my Marks

In my opinion it is just as good. Especially after it is broken in. I had a mark III, and (2) C+'s w/ them. Sounded great!!!!

You can still snag an original EVM on ebay for reasonable dollars. They are built like tanks so there are still many to be had. The C-90 Mesa/celestion is a lousy speaker in my opinion for the amp. Why you would run a celestion style speaker in a Mark series amp is beyond me in the first place.

Back