EV Speaker Advise?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
markwayne said:
Restless Rocks said:
I have a 1983 EVM 12L that came with the BIG BLACK heat sink. It is 200 watt rated. Says so on the heat sink. I also have a 1993 EVM 12L proline that does NOT have the big black heat sink. It says on the factory sticker that it is rated at 300watts. The literature which came with the EVM 15B prolines I bought new in boxes (which DO have the Big black heat sink and are rated at 400watts) states that the EVM proline has a special teflon coating on the voice coil that protects it from warpage and higher heat giving it the higher power handling capability. I also have a few OEM MESA EVM 12L's which are labeled as 200 watts and I have a couple EVM 12L series II which are also labeled as 200watts.

I had not heard that. Yeah, that sounds like a plausible explanation.

I found this posted by a tech on-line and it looks fairly authoritative:

EVM12L Series II is 200 watt...Successor to the SRO12. The SRO gap is a bit narrower yielding higher flux strength and a bit more sensitivity,1-2dB.

EVM12L Pro-Line. Rated at 300 watts. Same speaker with an added "Pro-Tef" teflon coating on voice coil and outer edge of voice coil gap to insulate/lubricate against voicecoil-topplate arc-short contact under extreme excursion/ power conditions. Also had extra laquer dip at the cone apex for added strength to prevent buckling from high power transients.

EVM12S Series II. Shallower basket/cone profile than 12L for enhanced mids in the 2000-3000 hz range. Voice coil and spider same as 12L.

EVM12S Pro-Line. All EVM Pro-Line drivers had the same "Pro-Tef" treatment.

OEM versions are exactly the same speaker without either the finned heatsink or the factory label on the backplate. The EV part number is stamped "812-xxxx-xxx". The major difference between OEM and factory labeled speakers was the warranty. Five years factory, 1 year OEM warranty in most cases, unless otherwise specified.
EVM12L Classic. Reissue of EVM12L Series II, 200 watt.

EVM12L Black Label Society. Reissue of EVM12L Pro-Line.

I wonder where the "400 Watt" Pro-Lines are in the mix? :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300539265823&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

bob

japster said:
Yeah that's what I thought,

I've been using them in class A mode in the house which is 30 watts, surely an overdriven valve power amp of total 95watt output into 2 x 200w rms speakers shouldn't melt them.

The guy has agreed for me to return them but it cost me £160 to have them reconed and I can't afford to pay again

Yeah, that really does not sound even remotely possible. I used a 295 running in A/B with 2 EVMs on one side and 2 Celestions on the other and at high levels six nights a week for over four years. I never heard the EVMs break a sweat. I did blow a V30 during that time. I doubt the basket assembly is that expensive. I think he should be willing to, at least, wave donate his bench charge for fixing his work. Of course, this assumes that those frames are not bent and the gap is free of charred voice coil. You might ask him point blank to check the alignment and the condition of the gap. If the frame is bent or if there is burnt residue in the gap, it won't do any good to have them reconed again. They will just burn again. I don't know what an EVM goes for over there currently, but it seems like your second recone is getting you close to the price of a good, used EVM.

steelgtr said:
markwayne said:
Restless Rocks said:
I have a 1983 EVM 12L that came with the BIG BLACK heat sink. It is 200 watt rated. Says so on the heat sink. I also have a 1993 EVM 12L proline that does NOT have the big black heat sink. It says on the factory sticker that it is rated at 300watts. The literature which came with the EVM 15B prolines I bought new in boxes (which DO have the Big black heat sink and are rated at 400watts) states that the EVM proline has a special teflon coating on the voice coil that protects it from warpage and higher heat giving it the higher power handling capability. I also have a few OEM MESA EVM 12L's which are labeled as 200 watts and I have a couple EVM 12L series II which are also labeled as 200watts.

EVM12L Series II is 200 watt...Successor to the SRO12. The SRO gap is a bit narrower yielding higher flux strength and a bit more sensitivity,1-2dB.

EVM12L Pro-Line. Rated at 300 watts. Same speaker with an added "Pro-Tef" teflon coating on voice coil and outer edge of voice coil gap to insulate/lubricate against voicecoil-topplate arc-short contact under extreme excursion/ power conditions. Also had extra laquer dip at the cone apex for added strength to prevent buckling from high power transients.

EVM12S Series II. Shallower basket/cone profile than 12L for enhanced mids in the 2000-3000 hz range. Voice coil and spider same as 12L.

OEM versions are exactly the same speaker without either the finned heatsink or the factory label on the backplate. The EV part number is stamped "812-xxxx-xxx". The major difference between OEM and factory labeled speakers was the warranty. Five years factory, 1 year OEM warranty in most cases, unless otherwise specified.

I wonder where the "400 Watt" Pro-Lines are in the mix? :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300539265823&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

bob

I really think that is just a matter of the testing parameters used to obtain that figure. I don't think there is a great deal of uniformity in loudspeaker testing to begin with. IOW - I imagine those are the same as the 300 Watt Pro-Lines with slightly different testing methods, different warranty . . . oh . . . and/or the addition of those, lovely, black heat sinks. :)

I imagine once you produce a speaker that can survive 200 Watts, it just becomes a matter of dissipating and resisting the extra heat.

markwayne said:
Restless Rocks said:

This seems very reasonable. Thanks, markwayne.

Back