EV 12L

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conroy

Reaction score
I've tried out a lot of speakers in my Boogie. For years I was on a quest for the perfect Boogie speaker. I tried Celestions, EVs, many Eminence models etc. The EVs were my favorites. Nothing beat the sound of the EVM-12L BLACK LABEL in the Boogie. Very rich, lively, and dynamic. Plenty of bass. It really allows the amp to fully perform. What's the stock speaker you have right now?

You can listen to my Boogie here in the context of a band. These recordings were made with an EV Force speaker installed. It's very close in sound to the EVM-12L BLACK LABEL but not quite as rich. The guitar is a Gibson ES-135;

http://www.reverbnation.com/tunepak/1207729

I replaced the C-90 in my widebody with an EVM-12l classic and It sounds much more crisp and clear than the c-90, and also tightens up the bass. Your Cleans will shimmer a little more too. It also has a much higher power rating, so you wont have to worrie about blowing it. Beacuse of the charicteristics of the speakers, I beleive that the EV makes more sense with the mark iv than the C-90 does. I play in a punk/ska band, but also enjoy playing blues, jazz, and some classic rock stuff. Everyone will sit on here and tell you that this is better than that, and so on, but really it is all about taste. What sound are you looking for??? I would classify the C-90 as more plexi/brown soud, and the EV is really just going to reproduce the sound of the mark iv, it doesnt color the sound. Just do whatever is going to help you acheive the sound you're looking for.

I have a Mark I combo with a 15" altec 418-8h. I have also been using a Thiele cab with an altec 417 in it. The sound great together. I am swapping the 417 out for an EVM 12l I have just to see what I am missing. I had it in a combo amp and it was the best speaker I have heard in that amp but **** it was heavy.

Cheers
Larry

Latest posts

Back