Equipment needed for basic guitar recording

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there's no good recording with cheap equipments.You get what you pay.
I'm tired of people asking that.
Save more money and buy something at least not cheap. :wink:

18&Life said:
I'm tired of people asking that.
Save more money and buy something at least not cheap. :wink:

He didn't say he wanted pro quality recording. He mentioned cheap but okay quality. I'm pretty sure it's possible.
I'm not one of the 'regulars' of the boogie board but I've seen enough negative posts of yours to make me want to browse less around here. Maybe you should register a new name again and start it fresh for the 3rd time. ;)

Living_justice: Assuming you have a decent computer (enough CPU and RAM) you'll need:

- Audio Interface (usb, firewire... You don't need many INs since you want to record guitars only)
- Some sort of amp modeler (POD, Vamp) if you're going direct, OR a Mic + preamp to record your amp. (some audio interfaces come with preamps).
- Recording Software (you could buy one but there are also some free ones you could get online)

This should get the topic going. Right now I'm kinda in a hurry so I can't google these items up for you. I'm sure someone will come along and suggest brands.

you could look into the line 6 toneport stuff. all you do is plug your guitar into the box and then the rest is digital. won't give you great recording, but will allow you to put your tracks down with decent quality. has all the amp models and everything on the computer.

I would 2nd (or is it 3rd now) the Line 6 stuff.

The quality to price ratio is absolutely unbeatable.

I'd say just go download Cool Edit Pro. (Or Adobe Audtion if you can find it. Its the same program, just that Audition is newer and better). Simple to use. I'd say get a POD, but its very limited compared to many other Line 6 products.

I also agree. If you are looking to get into something cheap with a decent sound to it the line6 stuff is actually good. The toneport is a simple tool to work with and sounds decent. They are releasing the rack version or already did if you are looking for more inputs. I believe it has 8 or something and is like $500 bucks. I have the UX2 and it does it's job well for wanting to lay idea's down

M-Audio has some stuff for under $500. I think it's like $300 actually. I don't remember if it brings you a copy of Pro-tools though. After that, you'd need a microphone and some cables and decent heaphones to do mixing.

Living_justice said:
Hi people, could you help me out by telling me?, what epuipment i need for recording basic guitar tracks, cheap but ok quilty, thanks

I kind of chuckled when I read this :lol: . This was me 2 years ago. Recording your guitar on a PC is a slippery slope. You start out just wanting to get some of your ideas down, and then quickly discover the shortcomings of your low-end stuff. Ok, so then upgrade to a better DAW like Sonar. But it would be nice to add some drums = $. This would sound much better with some keys for filler = $. I love the drum software I have now, but they have an expansion pack that would really improve my options = $

I say this not to discourage you (now that I'm about $1500 into recording gear/software), but rather to encourage you! If you think even for a second that you will eventually want to do more than just record guitar tracks, save a little and do it "right" from the start. If you save for a while and buy a good (insert gear here), you actually spend less than if you go cheap, and later buy the good stuff anyway - and save a lot of aggrivation. Also, keep in mind that even the low-end stuff tends to be very system resource hungry, so if your PC isn't juiced, you may find yourself having to upgrade it too.

For a cheap way to get started, the guys above are right when they say the Line6 TonePort is good. It comes with a limited version of a DAW, modeling software so you don't have to mic your amp if you don't want to, and the Gearbox software that comes with it is great for headphone jamming along with music on you computer (you can loop, slow to half speed etc - very nice). To save you more aggrivation, I found that a powered USB hub eliminated the cracks and pops I was getting in my recordings through the TonePort. The install instructions tell you not to use a USB hub, but as long as the hub has it's own power supply (instead of the computer USB port providing power) it's a much cleaner recording.

Hope that's not too much info all at once - I could go on for days on this stuff :wink:

Depends how cheap "cheap" actually is. I have a setup that costs me about $800 that I get great results out of. DigiDesign Mbox (comes with ProTools & plugins), SM57 (I went with an Audix I-5), and some decent monitors and headphones.

It doesn't hurt to have a processor or POD-like device of some kind as well, so that you can plug direct into the MBOX at night for silent recording. The $800 I spent included KRK monitors that were like $300 for the pair, and you could probably make do with cheaper ones.

The MBOX mini that is out now is even cheaper. As far as the drums are concerned as one poster said earlier, I have a trick that I love to do with ProTools: get a backing track in mp3 format and import it into your PT session. Or record the drum track through PT, and then insert it into a new session. I have fXpansion lite and I think it sucks bad, I've gone through hundreds of drum lines in that thing and hardly found anything that sounded good.

There's some really cool info here, guys. I'd probably ask this question eventually, too. Thanks! :p

18&Life said:

Well not really, you can still get decent quality like Enc3f4L0 said. Btw, have you seen Enc3f4L0's recordings? Apparently it was recorded with a 1 dollar mic...and his tone cuts through really well.

Oh and one more thing Treva ...

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=18373&highlight=sombra

:wink: I just find it really funny.

Back