Equalization stages for the Metallica tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razor

Reaction score
I have a quad preamp, and a powerramp is on it's way, but I need one last thing to get that Metallica tone, or as close to it as possible.
So I need to know what should I get?

Parametric EQ, or Graphic EQ?
The quad already has it's own EQs but it doesn't seem to dip the mids well enough.
So how many EQ stages should I use to get to that tone? I was thinking of maybe having a graph EQ running infront of the quad, and then using a Param. EQ to add more control to certain frequencies.

Any other ideas?
By the way, what brands should I use? I've been looking at Nady (seems reasonably priced), DBX, MXR...
What do you guys think?

If the mesa preamps already have graphic eq's, don't get another graphic eq. get a parametric eq of 3-5 bands. PM me later if you decide to go that route and i can tell you what frequencies to target

get emg pickups, celestion 30 speakers and all things that Really effect on the sound... eq doesnt change "tone" it makes your sound some buzz or depending what your looking for. Try boosting 75hz to make the sound more chunky.

Yeah I've been considering EMGs for some time now, but someone told me that I should probably consider Seymour Duncans (Jb and Jazz) for the sake of versitility. EMGs are pretty high gain, and besides metal, I like to play a bit of blues and hard rock ala Guns 'n Roses, Deep Purple, AC/DC

Whats wrong with emg pickups :p ? You may need them to get that metallica tone, cause that was what we were looking for?

Latest posts

Back