EQ in Loop of Roadster?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Really digging my Roadster...no worries!

I'm just curious...is there anyone here that completely swears by running the external EQ with the roadster? I'm in a metal band (ala Killswitch Engage) and am curious is the EQ could open up a little more of the amp in that range....tight big and aggressive high gain.

So far, it seems like the Roadster is EQed better from the factory than my old rectifier...the knobs do more....but does anyone here think the external EQ can do that much more?

Appreciate it!

Eric

I'm just curious...is there anyone here that completely swears by running the external EQ with the roadster?

I know I do- at least on channels 3 and 4. If you are playing heavy music- do yourself a favor and throw in a good EQ- I almost guarantee you that you wont look back.......

Laskyman

I use an MXR external EQ on my RKII, and almost never turn it off. Its a similar concept to that of the Mark series EQ's. A little bit goes a long way.

I wont even play without it , hurry up and get one!!

A nice clean boost works as well... it tightens everything up just like the eq except you get to turn the gain down on the amp and things sound just as heavy if not heavier. Both methods work great and using them together... well thats like forming Voltron :wink:

I've been thinking of adding an EQ pedal to my roadster as well. Can anyone recommend a really good one? I've looked at Boss and MXR, nothing much else though.

NewEyesOpen said:
I've been thinking of adding an EQ pedal to my roadster as well. Can anyone recommend a really good one? I've looked at Boss and MXR, nothing much else though.

The Maxon GE601 is awesome... very transparent which for me was the number one reason i bought it.

nate.dudek said:
+1 to jdurso - clean boost and MXR EQ in the loop. Especially on Ch 4 Modern!

+1 to jdurso and nate.dudek. I have both the MXR 10 band and the 6 band. They both work really well, but a little tweaking, sometimes as little as 2 db makes a big difference. I also use a Maxon OD808 as a clean boost, and I have a Nau Spoonful overdrive, which has an OD pedal and clean boost in a single pedal. You can set up the OD section for the EQ you want and use the clean boost for solos. Very effective. The pedal and OD pedal together are more like Unicron for me. :lol:

So, I ended up grabbing a MXR Kerry King 10 band, and it is sick! Really added some kick to the roadster for the metal moments.

What settings are you guys using on your EQs (approximate ofcourse) to achieve you tones with the roadster?

Thanks!

Eric

I use an ART 31 band EQ in the loop of my RK and a BB preamp in front. Sounds pretty amazing, but now if given a choice between using one or the other, I would take the EQ over the boost pedal. Just seems to do more for my sound with a heck of a lot more control.

What settings are you guys using on your EQs (approximate ofcourse) to achieve you tones with the roadster?

Slight bump in the 100's, lower the 250's a bit, bump up the 500's (more inportant if you solo I feel), and everything else flat- sometimes a slight bump up in the 8k's.

Of course, your mileage may vary...

Laskyman

Back