Epiphone Valve Jr.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LesCarr

Reaction score
:?: Any body out there try a Epi Valve Jr. Head apriced at just under $100
Tried a new one through the speaker (Black Shadow) on my Mk-IV
sounded OK for a one knob (Volume) only Amplifier.
This may be the wrong speaker for single tube Class A Amp.
I understand a high effiency 4x10 AlNiCo/Ceramic speaker combination
suggested by several people online and offline would be nice I could even possably use it (the cab) as an extension for the Mk-IV
There is a site with sound clips found on a site that was referenced from the Grail tone Home page the Valve Jr. sounded good even with 4x12 cabs of various speaker mixes.
I think it might be a good practice amp or even more.

Any responses or opinions appreciated

I've had one for several months now and I have tried it wiith several different speakers. All I can say is as a last resort I suppose it's useable but with four other very good amps at my disposal it sits on a shelf unused. It's just not that good. The best way to describe it is that, 'you get what you pay for'.

I own one and I think it's great for what it was designed for. This is the perfect type of amp to use for testing tubes and finding out their individual characters. Plus it is much easier to get power tube overdrive out of this. Actually, 5watts is a bit too much to be able to crank it through a 1-12 or 2-12 cab at a reasonable volume but I think it sounds good none the less. I would rather have this than some 40 year old fender champ that may or may not have sound circuitry. That's just me though.

How many class A amps can you buy under $500? $1000? You could not build a complete amp of this quality for less than $200 if you bought all of the parts new. The circuitry layout is simple and can lend to many mods.

Having said that, this is not for everyone as t0aj15 voiced his dislike of it over his other amps, but it still has it's place if you accept it for what it is.

If you want to learn about tube circuitry this would be a great amp to start learning the basics with.

I found the Jr. has its funky own sound, stock. It kind of reminds of the tones that the 40's-60's blues & Rock players could get. Yes cheap compared to the Mk-IV (the Penultimate boogie in my opinion) and no not as quite as versatile. It could be a very good beginners’ Amp learn analog circuits from the get go. The unfortunate thing I believe it has printed circuit board, I like point to point circuits better, when possible. I found a site where people have mod’s for the early designs’ in the series of Valve Jr's.

t0af15 is right to the point ya get what you pay for. I'll bet you have a nice collection of Amps.
I'm going to try different speaker's and configurations maybe tubes as well.

Listen to the sound clips http://www.instituteofnoise.com/L6/ampclips.asp#Epiphonefrom the link at the Grail Tone home page Review. http://www.grailtone.com/guitar-reviews/epiphone-valve-junior.html
Some thing simple can lead to something different or dynamic.
I believe that the article says that some of the greatest early recordings were done with simple inexpensive little amps.
I Tried tinkering with guitar technique and with different designed Axe's. I have a CS Tele with birds’ eye maple neck and hand wound hot Tex pups and a Strat EJ artist series and ES-175. "Sorry I don’t mean to brag".
I found the experience was different for me, and I like that.

P.S. I'm mot intentionally Rhetorical

I found a site where people have mod’s for the early designs’ in the series of Valve Jr's.

t0af15 is right to the point ya get what you pay for. I'll bet you have a nice collection of Amps.
I'm going to try different speaker's and configurations maybe tubes as well.

Listen to these sound clips http://www.instituteofnoise.com/L6/ampclips.asp#Epiphonefrom the link at the Grail Tone home page Review. http://www.grailtone.com/guitar-reviews/epiphone-valve-junior.html
Some thing simple can lead to something different or dynamic.

Hi LesCarr:

Don't get too caught up single end Class A amp of this Epi Valve Jr. On paper that sounds great for low power, great-for-studio-recording, push-the-power-tube(s) etc ...

BUT why alot of these low wattage boutique amps sounds great is because their high quality output transformers.

I mingle on some bulliten boards of small tube amp building, and the bottom line output transformer (as well as speakers, proper tubes, ...) are the key to the amp's tone characteristics. Just because its "Class A" doesn't necessarily going to mean a great sounding amp.

Just my $.02 - PS congratulation on you rebuild Blues Jr. :wink:

:) This I heard/read many times so I do agree that's why I was asking about speakers, good speakers & cab. I will more than likely use the cab as a extension for my Mk-IV. And use the Valve Jr for practicing and a little experimenting, or just plain KIS (Keeping it simple) when I don't want to tweek knobs etc. The Hype did not so much affect my decision to buy as the simplicity, one knob "volume",in a Head and the price. Like I said to myself "what you expect for $99" The Black Shadow was good speaker but not quite right. An AlNiCo type just migth be a better fit?
It's actually a very good beginers Amp.
I think I will check out & study the transformer route in the future .

The Fender Blues Jr. is much better now with the botique mods and 12" Kendrick brown frame (It wasn't that bad either and I don't feel burned). Sounds now more like what I wanted/expected when I frist bought it stock. 8) Of course I had just then restarted playing after 20+ year hiatus i.e. Marriage, Wife, Kids,Mortgage and business etc.

I may be a begginer/Intermediate but I'm not totally deaf and dumb" :lol:

for $100 or less you can get an old Bogen Challenger to play with (quality parts, too)

it'll have ptp wiring 20-30+ watts to play with, and maybe the original tubes,if you like fixing up old stuff... or pay a little more for one in good condition hahaha just a suggestion since you'd probly have to look on ebay for it (talk about losing face!) terry kath of chicago played one

An old Bogen for $99, sounds great! Tube Jr was a good fit for the pocket book.
Early Chicago 1st & 2nd albums some were good, BS&T 1st and Electric Flag and way back to T-Bone Walker. Ya, Back to the Organic/Analog sound, band backed, Lead before the synthesized wave. That's lots of work, great if the group is tight and holds the groove.
The band sound needs a strong leader or family like organization other wise it's like herding cats.

LesCarr said:
An old Bogen for $99, sounds great! Tube Jr was a good fit for the pocket book.
Early Chicago 1st & 2nd albums some were good, BS&T 1st and Electric Flag and way back to T-Bone Walker. Ya, Back to the Organic/Analog sound, band backed, Lead before the synthesized wave. That's lots of work, great if the group is tight and holds the groove.
The band sound needs a strong leader or family like organization other wise it's like herding cats.
great! we'll have to meet and play some music soon

Latest posts

Back