EP Booster

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Garner

Reaction score
Oh, my!

DSCN1002.jpg

Just got one of these, and using it as an "always on" boost, it is really nice with the 5:50. Makes rhythm sounds smoother and more vintage sounding, and makes leads with the Timmy just liquid and singing.

Beautiful pedal.

I totally dig this.

In my application I went ahead and got the RC Booster so I could dial in the amount of gain and balance the volume, as I do not use it all the time...although mostly.

I also like the ability to EQ.

I have a Tonebone JX-2 that allows me to hit the front of the amp with gain and a mid bump.

I use that all the time and it too, has a trim pot so I can adjust how much gain.

Love Xotic.

Honeymoon was over real quick. I have already sold it.

Great booster in its own right, but after playing it for a while, what I heard as "spongy" turned out about as often to be "flabby bass." Turning the bass on the amp down didn't really solve the problem, so I sold it to someone who likes it better than I do.

I really like the tonality of the 5:50, so a big part of it is that coloring that sound too much colors over what I like about the amp. I've also gone from using clean/blues to crunch/burn, and to my ears, it's a very organic, beautiful tone. I usually use burn only for leads, but there are a couple of songs where that's rhythm and the Timmy comes on for the lead.

David Garner said:

Great booster in its own right, but after playing it for a while, what I heard as "spongy" turned out about as often to be "flabby bass." Turning the bass on the amp down didn't really solve the problem, so I sold it to someone who likes it better than I do.

I really like the tonality of the 5:50, so a big part of it is that coloring that sound too much colors over what I like about the amp. I've also gone from using clean/blues to crunch/burn, and to my ears, it's a very organic, beautiful tone. I usually use burn only for leads, but there are a couple of songs where that's rhythm and the Timmy comes on for the lead.

I agree with you, the EP booster makes the tone sound too spongy and bring in too much low end. mine is right before the amp after my OD pedals. maybe i should try before the OD or in the loop.

I too find myself using the crunch / burn. I haven't been able to figure out the blues setting yet. Too me it sounds like a weak crunch, and therefore i end up using the crunch 99% of the time over the blues.

I love mine as well, remember those dip-switches in the back of the pedal! I have a treble boost and no bass boost.

express50express said:
David Garner said:

I agree with you, the EP booster makes the tone sound too spongy and bring in too much low end. mine is right before the amp after my OD pedals. maybe i should try before the OD or in the loop.

I too find myself using the crunch / burn. I haven't been able to figure out the blues setting yet. Too me it sounds like a weak crunch, and therefore i end up using the crunch 99% of the time over the blues.

You might want to put it last in your chain, I did to mine so its just a boost (even after time-based effects like my carbon copy)

The (relatively) new TC Spark has bass, treble, & gain controls as well, and a 3-position mini-toggle to affect the overall EQ. I used it to great effect in front of my Blackstars, don't need it on my Express+ but you may have better luck with that, much more control. I think Fulltone makes a similar one now too.

Back