EMGs @ 18V....WOW!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MesaGod666 said:
MesaENGR412 said:
MesaGod666 said:
I prefer 9V to the 18V.

any reason why?

-AJH

Yup...I just like the tone. I couldn't get into the vibe with the 18V.

Same here. I like passive pickups for having the qualities of passive pickups, and I like EMG's for having the compressed quality of EMG's.

nomad100hd said:
i mad a battery clip thing a couple months ago just like that, pretty much went straight 18v so can't comment on difference. I get plenty of dynamics out of my pickups. At first i put the 85 in the bridge 81 in the neck, loved the sound of the 81 in the neck, then decided the 85 was not was better in the neck and 81 in bridge when i swap them experimenting. I almost want to try just 81, 81, or 81b, 60n

81/81 has been my favorite combo for 15 years playing EMG's. I just recently tried the 81b/89n wired for just the single coil and that is killer too.

the description of 85 for blues and 81 for metal fits for the most part. Since i mod'ed my guitar amp and took out the mud i wonder if the 85 still lacking cut for my amp.

I'm rocking the 85 in the bridge..if you haven't tried it, do it! I think it's much better than the 81, and I have swapped back and forth a few times. LOVE the 85!

ibanez4life SZ! said:
I'm rocking the 85 in the bridge..if you haven't tried it, do it! I think it's much better than the 81, and I have swapped back and forth a few times. LOVE the 85!

+1. I have 85's in the bridge of my EMG loaded guitars.

Thanks for the trick on the rev 18v!

I used to use the EMG 81b/85n religiously but have started to move back to a passive pickup.
I still use EMG's in my Flying-V's, but I switched them out of my SG's in favor of the Gibson Iommi signature pickups.
My current gigging guitars are customs and both are loaded with a single LACE "Drop & Gain" humbucker.
I use heavy strings and tune to "C" and those LACE D&G's are so low end tight and they cut well too.
They surprised me a lot. They really give definition that was noticeable by everyone once I started playing them.
http://www.lacemusic.com/electric_pickups/drop_gain/drop_gain_specs.php

I was just going to post a new thread on how awesome the 18v mod is, but I saw this one! I did the mod to my Schecter 7 string, and good GOD the tone is better!

What I was told is that the extra voltage reduces clipping, which is what my 2 lowest strings did every time I would dig in a little. I heard that as you go lower, it gets worse, hence why the higher strings are somewhat unaffected. I also heard that because they're more clear, there can be more high end fizz, which may be what some people don't like about it. Personally, I just make some adjustments to my amp and have no problems, but when used in the same set as another guitar with passives, it can be a little annoying.

Anyway, apart from sound, the dynamics are what I'm after. My 7 string used to feel dead and slow, but with the 18v in there it's got a new lease on life. I'll use them in a gig and see if I like them as much, but for now, they're NICE!!!

Yeah, I love the 18volt mod. I almost didn't buy this one because of the singlecoil in the bridge, but I grabbed it when I found out it had the 18v mod. So happy I did, with the SA's it really fattens it up.

zion001-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back