EMGs @ 18V....WOW!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Just wanted to share my newest guitar venture with you guys.

I recently went back to EMGs in one of my PRSi...I missed the snarl and growl of actives. One thing that I didn't like about EMG's, and why I left them in the first place a while back, was their VERY compressed nature. I like the sound, but it seems like when I REALLY dig in, instead of responding, the preamp would clip and 'fuzz out' almost. Just didn't do it for me for anything but ALL OUT metal.

So, my usual Suhr Aldrich recipe wasn't working in my newest 20th Anniversary CU22. They're AMAZING pickups, but **** did they suck in this guitar. I almost sold/traded it because I couldn't bare to play it.

**** am I happy I tried this first.

I popped EMGs in the guitar (85 bridge, 81 neck), and it was already better. Really fit this guitar like a glove, and even at 9V, they sounded better than I remembered. Soon after, I did some work in the control cavity, and brought the EMGs to 18V.

WOW :eek:

WOOOOW :eek:

This is what I've been wanting from EMGs all along. It's hard to believe that the company does not recommend the 18V configuration as stock. The 85 in the bridge is SOOO powerful, yet clear, and much more dynamic than the usual EMG. It isn't a passive, but IMO, it is a perfect blend of the two....enough dynamics to bring across the soul of your playing, and the perfect mix of compression and AGRESSION (did I say that intensly enough? :D).

Anyone contemplating, or struggling with their EMGs, try them at 18V. You WILL NOT regret it!

On a side note, I'm putting together small clip in extension that will allow you to run your EMGs at 18V without any soldering, cutting, anything. Completely reversible, and it will just snap into the existing battery clip. I'm SOO excited about the EMGs at 18V that I want to make it easily available to any that wants to try it!

Contact me if you'd be interested. And ROCK ON!

Some pics of the guitar we are discussing in the next post.

100_0132.jpg

100_0134-1.jpg

I've been saying this for years. It's not a night an day difference in terms of sound, but the feel is much more responsive.

I think most people judge EMGs based on the 81... which is an extreme EQ'd ceramic pickup. The 85 is like a big, fat ultra clear PAF and the 60 is pretty P90ish for a ceramic humbucker.

I prefer the 85n/81b setup, but that's just a personal thing. Tighter and more percussive. 85 has the fat thing going on.

Ive always wanted to try a good set of emg actives, or any actives pickups for that matter. Ive heard alot of hate about them.

How are they for stuff like jazz fusion, and anything not-crushing metal super high gain?

They're very quiet and very clear. Because they're active, the volume and tone knobs work really well and you can drop the volume all the way to zero without any treble loss. If you're looking at jazz, I'd probably look the 85 and 60A and avoid the 81.

The 85 is their PAF like model. Alnico magnet. Strong top and bottom. Like alot of PAFs the bottom can almost be a little too strong in the neck position, but it maintains more clarity to it.

The 60 is a ceramic magnet pickup that sort of reminds me of a P90... strong midrange and very clear. They also make an alnico version of the 60 (60A) that I would imagine would sound a little more musical and less sterile than the ceramic version. The ceramic version is almost a little too clear IMO.

I think the most non-metal guys I can think of that use EMGs are David Gilmore and Steve Lukather.

The EMG passives are generally not highly regarded. No idea how much of this is earned and how much is a carry over from the hate towards the actives.

I'm glad to hear that you like the 18volt mod. It made a big difference in the sound of both of my main guitars, probably won't ever go back to 9 volt circuitry.

-AJH

Agreed. I'm really surprised that EMG doesn't advertise the 18V config. as stock. I can't really see any advantage to 9V when compared to 18.

To the top....I'll have a few of the clips for 18V modding done within the next few days...PM me if you'd be interested. I'm only asking $5 plus shipping.

Eric

If you like the 18V mod you would poop your pants when you hear Duncan Blackouts. Sound exactly like the 18v EMG's, but with more body and attack.

Tried them believe it or not...at first they were cool, but after a week of playing them, they just didn't sound right to me. I MUCH prefer the 18V EMGs.

That's the beauty of choice in guitar tone...to each his own :D

ibanez4life SZ! said:
The 85 in the bridge is SOOO powerful, yet clear, and much more dynamic than the usual EMG.
+1 I don't care much for 81's, and they have that "thin" sound everyone complains about regarding emg's. 85's sound like a "real" pup IMO, but with more balls

One of my guitars, which used to be my main guitar for about a year, has 85 in the bridge and 60 in the neck. They sound great, but it's not a sound anybody would enjoy. I can understand why some people call them sterile, they sound very clear, articulate, a bit compressed, and very...predictable.
At one moment I decided to install the 18V mod. My first impression was that it was awsome, it removed every bit of compression, leaving you with a sound almost like a piezo pickup, with perfect high end and exceptional dynamics.
I then aquired another guitar, with passives, that I soon replaced with a Doug Aldrich set. I rediscovered the joys of a good passive pickup, that gives you harmonics, body, natural compression, all depending on your picking.
Compared with that, the 18V EMGs sound unnatural, harsh, tight but not agressive.
I will restore that guitar to 9V, because in my oppinion it will bring them closer to a passive pickup, in terms of frequency response and dynamics. They still won't have the rich harmonics of passive pickups, but at least their overall response is much more usable.

I would say, try the 18 V mod, but don't let the "better" sound fool you, judge it only by how "natural" it sounds in context.

i mad a battery clip thing a couple months ago just like that, pretty much went straight 18v so can't comment on difference. I get plenty of dynamics out of my pickups. At first i put the 85 in the bridge 81 in the neck, loved the sound of the 81 in the neck, then decided the 85 was not was better in the neck and 81 in bridge when i swap them experimenting. I almost want to try just 81, 81, or 81b, 60n

Believe it or not, I just switched back to 9v from 18v in one of my guitars and am a lot happier. I'm the oddball I guess.

Back