Emg 81x and Liquifire

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welcomehome

Reaction score
Can I put the emg in the bridge and in the liquifire in the neck? Or is that a no-no? I want a John Petrucci lead tone and a Alexi Laiho type lead tone. . .Ya, ya, I know find your own tone. But, with my limited funds, it's not a bad place to start!

And What's the difference between the emg 81x and SD blackouts? Thanks!

pretty positive you can not mix actives with passives. Theres ways u can get around it with emg hz and the active emgs but not what you want. Im not gonna lie look into the 60 neck or even the 89. Another thing you could look into is getting a dimarzio x2n for the bridge and a liquidfire now the x2n is passive btu has the same output as a emg 81 but has more of an orgainic feel, which is what the "x" in the emgs are made for. Blackouts sound and feel much diffrent than emgs. Most people prefer the duncans over the emgs i myself havent tried the duncans but im very inclined to do so for my 7 string.

in my opinion you don't need the same pickups to get a certain persons sound a lot of that sound is their hands i think you need good equipment and a solid ear.

Welcomehome said:
Can I put the emg in the bridge and in the liquifire in the neck? Or is that a no-no? I want a John Petrucci lead tone and a Alexi Laiho type lead tone. . .Ya, ya, I know find your own tone. But, with my limited funds, it's not a bad place to start!

And What's the difference between the emg 81x and SD blackouts? Thanks!

Yes you can, Google for the Diagram, I have an ESP LTD KH-202 and I put the EMG 81 in the Bridge and the Dimarzio Super Distortion in the neck, That's a passive and an active together

Here's What I found on the EMG's Website.

http://www.emginc.com/pdfs/faq/EMG-FAQ-Wiring-Questions.pdf

I could never understand why people use the EMG81! The 85 in the bridge is far better sounding! More bass, better sounding treble and better mids! I have a zillion EMGs around and once I swapped out an 81 with an 85(I prefer the 89 w/ its single coil mode and 85 built in) The 81 sounds better as a neck pup for leads and heavy stuff! Try it and you won't be dissapointed! I guess its monkey see, monkey do... good luck finding ur tone!

Back