EMG 81+85 vs 60+60

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nylisk

Reaction score
EMG 81 in bridge + 85 in neck

Versus

EMG 60 in bridge + 60 in neck

Overdriven, the 60 produces a slightly higher mid, which I think could be reproduced by placing an EQ pedal in between the amp and an 81 pickup or in the loop. Just push the mids overall just a little bit. Think Rage Against The Machine (60) versus metallica (81) all though both pickups aren't THAT different. Completely overdriven on Mesa Modern channel, the pickups are close enough that you probably wouldn't notice a difference.

Overdriven the 60 neck is brighter than the 85 neck, but again, not THAT different. If you think you're les paul neck tone is "overly fat" then a 60 may be a step in the right direction if you are already packing EMGs (interchangeable)

Clean is where the two sets have a stronger different character. Many consider the 81 clean bland, which is understandable. The 60 has stronger mids. When clean, the 60 sounds more like a humbucker with a taste of single coils.

The 60neck versus 85 neck clean tone that is best described as the difference between a piano (85) and a trumpet (60).

Verdict: I will keeping the 60s in there for the time being. I think they have more character than the typical 81&85 combo. (I think mostly because I don't care for the 85 neck) That's actually the best way to describe them.

A Gibson pickup versus an EMG pickup is a very different tone, but difference between 60+60 and 81+85 is that the 60 has some more character but is still very much an EMG pickup.

Latest posts

Back