Electra Dyne Vs. Stiletto Deuce II

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannabweiland

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been done to death, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

I have a Stiletto Deuce II and have been hearing good things about the Electra Dyne. Some speculate it may be better than the Deuce. Anybody go from a Stiletto to an ED?

I went from Roadster to Deuce II to Dyne- and the Dyne is by far my favorite of the 3. The Dyne is thicker, more organic, deeper, and more dynamic than the other 2...the Dyne has the greatest clean sound I have ever played, the most bouncy- soul-filled low gain mode ever. It is the sound of a touch sensitive od that builders try to make in a pedal. The High gain is a beast. Not modern high gain- this amp wasn't made for metal- but a boost up front will get you there....
Believe the hype.....

^-------------what Laskyman said !
Only tried the SD II in a store, but,
I had an ED and a Mark V.
After 3 months, I got rid of the Mark and bought a 2nd ED (head).
14 months later......no regrets at all.

Man, I thought the Stiletto II had a **** good clean channel. Sounds like I'm going to have to make a trip to the nearest Boogie dealer to really check out an ED. You guys think the ED would be better for progressive/indie/alt/rock?

wannabweiland said:
Man, I thought the Stiletto II had a **** good clean channel. Sounds like I'm going to have to make a trip to the nearest Boogie dealer to really check out an ED. You guys think the ED would be better for progressive/indie/alt/rock?
I can't judge what would be better for you, but I think you owe it to yourself to demo one. They are great amps, but everyone has their own needs and tastes.

wannabweiland said:

The ED sounds much better loud. If you can't crank it then at lower volumes you'll need an OD pedal for gain tones.

danyeo1 said:
wannabweiland said:

The ED sounds much better loud. If you can't crank it then at lower volumes you'll need an OD pedal for gain tones.
I agree with the fact that the ED sounds better loud, but one of the reasons I bought this amp is because it sounds good at more reasonable volumes than other amps I've owned and tried. I only use a distortion pedal for another sound choice. I personally prefer the ED's distortion tones.

I tried the ED a while back with stock 6L6 and didn't really like it as much (I'm an EL34 guy). How does the touch-sensitivity compare to this:

http://www.reevesamps.com/super78.htm

I'm considering buying a simple 1 channel tube amp in the future and the Reeves above at the LA Ampfest yesterday was sick. I was in the recording room when a lot of the amps were tested thru LP and tele and bogner 412.

reeves has a single-ended class A EL34 amp as well!

James Lugo has the best ampfest's. Wish i lived out there just to go one. Anyway, the Electra Dyne to me isn't geared for VH tones or edgy 80's sleaze rock. I think of it as more of a thicker ZZTop classic rock amp. But to me it needs an OD pedal then it easily does metal. I hope they cranked it at the ampfest because the amp needs volume to sound it's best.

danyeo1 said:
James Lugo has the best ampfest's. Wish i lived out there just to go one. Anyway, the Electra Dyne to me isn't geared for VH tones or edgy 80's sleaze rock. I think of it as more of a thicker ZZTop classic rock amp. But to me it needs an OD pedal then it easily does metal. I hope they cranked it at the ampfest because the amp needs volume to sound it's best.

When i tried it it wasn't cranked (max output @ 2 out of 10), so maybe that's the thing. I wish Mesa had the power scaling option that Reeves has and/or Reeves were "findable" used.

I tried a Deuce II today. At no point did i feel like it could replace my Electra Dyne. Overall i thought the Deuce was an ok amp, bottom was ok and it wasn't that bright like it's been criticized for. But if you stick a OD pedal with an Electra Dyne IMHO then the Deuce gets beat.

wannabweiland said:
The ED is thicker than the duece. The duece can do the indie rock thing well. The ED could easily as well. But the tite gain mode on the duece is killer for complex chording and deffinition. Just depends on your tastes. The ED is darker and the duece has more upper mid stuff.

Both amps sound great and I would have been happy with either the ED or the Stiletto when I was shopping. The clean headroom and the low end thump of the ED won me over.

rabies said:
I tried the ED a while back with stock 6L6 and didn't really like it as much (I'm an EL34 guy). How does the touch-sensitivity compare to this:

http://www.reevesamps.com/super78.htm

I'm considering buying a simple 1 channel tube amp in the future and the Reeves above at the LA Ampfest yesterday was sick. I was in the recording room when a lot of the amps were tested thru LP and tele and bogner 412.

reeves has a single-ended class A EL34 amp as well!

http://www.reevesamps.com/custom18.htm

I came.

Seriously, those little 20watt plexi clones are fantastic! I'll take two!

Latest posts

Back