el34s in your LSC? Different tubes for more gain?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitar99

Reaction score
So lately, my lsc hasnt been doing it for me tone wise, I was thinking about switching out tubes to see if I can get a tighter punch...Also, is anyone using different 12ax7s to get more gain? Any advice would be great, Ive always used this board to get schooled! Thanks..

What is everyone using tube wise? Any el34 users ?

I'm using Winged C EL34's in both LSC and MKV

There are many comparative posts on this board - some guys love them, others prefer the 6L6 response. For me, using my rig, various PRS guitars and looking for classic overdrive and rock growl in a drive setting, EL34s fill the midrange and tighten the bass response to where I like it. It all depends on what you are trying to do

I have a number of rosewood necked guitars that naturally accentuate highs / lows, and need midrange fill. My mahogany necked guitars growl in a way I prefer

Getting even more anal, there is a difference in response characteristics between brands of EL34s too. I have used Svetlana C's through Mesas / Marshalls for years, and am hooked on their response. Others prefer other brands

In short - try a set, spend some real time re-setting your EQ, and see where you end up. It's a relatively cheap mod that you can reverse if you prefer the response of 6L6's

Have fun and good luck :D

I play about with a set of EL34s on occasion but always go back to 6L6s - EL34s are better for overdriven crunch but the trade off is the clean strat tones which aren't as good I reckon.
+1 for Svetlana winged Cs The 6L6s have better sparkle and clarity than mesa valves I had in previously.
When the reverb driver started getting noisy I also took the opportunity to swap out the pre-amp section for a set of Harma cryo-treated 12ax7s from Watford Valves and was pleased with those - better sparkle and clarity on both channels (and cheaper). Slightly improved the overdriven tones on Ch2 but no increase in gain though.

I switched to EL34's about 4 months ago and I love it. To me, it sounds like the difference between the standard setting and the "tweed" setting. 6L6 being standard, tweed being the EL34's. As far as more gain, I bought a package set from a sight called Eurotubes.com and got his set of JJ "High Gain EL34's" he put together. Its a great sight if you like JJ tubes. The guy puts together packages specifically for different amps, of course also doing so for the Mesa Lonestar. He has about 3-4 packages for the Lonestar in both EL34's and 6L6's varying in quality and price. I think I paid about $130 to replace every tube in the amp. Really good deal, had my tubes in about 4 days and love the sound. Anyway, just some info for you and a cool place to check out. Eurotubes.com

Latest posts

Back