EL34's Class A in MKIV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srf399

Reaction score
About a year ago I switched over to 6L6's in the outer sockets of my MKIV combo and really liked the increased smoothness and thick bottom end. Since that time I have added a thiele cabinet and completely changed the pickups and wiring in my strat. I was playing around with the amp today and decided to try out the EL34's in class A. I couldn't believe how nice it sounds! I wish that the MKIV had 6 tube sockets so I could switch from 6L6 to EL34's with a foot switch!!!! I'm keeping the EL34's in now. I think with the Dimarzio Breeds I have in my strat and the thiele cabinet the bottom end and tightness has increased and the EL34's now sound a lot better than the 6L6's. I really nice edgy sound with smoothness as well.

srf399 said:
...so I could switch from 6L6 to EL34's with a foot switch
If you can somehow use the relays you can switch from simul/class to class A with a foot switch. It's not quite what you're after, but that's as close as you can get to your wish.

I've used the EL34/6L6 combination in my short head almost exclusive for the past year. In combination with 2 thiele's it's the perfect sound for me.

Pinweaver said:
srf399 said:
...so I could switch from 6L6 to EL34's with a foot switch
If you can somehow use the relays you can switch from simul/class to class A with a foot switch. It's not quite what you're after, but that's as close as you can get to your wish.

Yup, that's as close as you'll get. I have a latching switch to switch between Class A/Simul-Class at the top of my pedalboard, but I use all 6L6s.

I have to say that I prefer the sound over the 6L6's and I saw but did not play the Stiletto Ace last week when I was in the store (1.5 hour drive away). I like the Satriani and Johnson sounds... and I'm starting to think that the Stiletto might be closer to what I'm looking for. Anyone A/B 'd the MKIV with the Stiletto Ace? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. But I do plan to go try one out for my own ears.

I mean how close can a MKIV get to a Stiletto sound in class A using only the EL34's? I like the more tubular sound the amp gets in this mode vs. the 6L6's

I would say the preamp is way too different in the Mark series than most amps (of course this is what makes them so unique). If you need Stiletto tones I would consider looking into an outboard piece to fill the void.

IMO i see the Mark IV as a **** great amp that just doesn't have the marshally midrange vibe going but it's easy enough to get out of other gear. I used to own a PV Tubefex rack pre/effects processor that could do a very convincing marshall 800 tone and was about the only distorted sound that I found pleasing where it sounded very pushed but not grainy and lacking in harmonics (like the other distorted modes in that preamp do IMO).

For a couple hundred bucks there is most likely a solution for you.

Greg

My fav tube combo used to be 2 6L6 inner & 2 EL34 outer. I changed the inners to EL84's on Yellow Jackets. The 34's & 84's running together in tweed is very sweet.

Ok... I have to say that the yellow jacket idea has totally tweeked my interest. I tried the F30 before I got my MKIV and it was the other mesa at the time that I really liked the lead channel on. I thought the F30 had a fantastic high gain solo sound. Does the MKIV capture a similar lead sound with your yellow jackets/EL84's?

rabies said:
so what's the deal with yellow jackets? are they just converters from octal to EL84?? i just read the THD website about this. so you're running either 2xEL34 class A or 2xEL34+2xEL84 class A (with the switch set to simul on the mark iv)?

Exactly, I stumbled on this last Friday night during one of my Killian Red Moments. When I revisited Saturday & sober, it showed me a whole new tone world that I could never have gotten with 6L6's & EL34's. I was using the YJ's in the RK so I could do all sorts of combinations with the 6L6/EL34/EL84's, that's where I got the idea for the YJ's in the MKIV. YJ's in a RK, Whoa baby, that's a whole different story.

srf399 said:
I tried the F30 before I got my MKIV and it was the other mesa at the time that I really liked the lead channel on. I thought the F30 had a fantastic high gain solo sound. Does the MKIV capture a similar lead sound with your yellow jackets/EL84's?

Never tried an F30, I don't know if its similar. Gain, I'm usually a gain pig but I actually turned the gain down cause the 84's saturate so much easier. The leads are incredible!

I'm still trying to pinpoint what other amp it sounds like. All I know is it's not in the MKIV or RK tone spectrum. It sounds just as freakin' awesome as the MKIV or the RK but in a different tonal class though. I'm still experimenting & I'm lovin' every minute of it.

All I know is that I'm getting frustrated with the MKIV. Every time I play it the amp sounds different.... Tube change doesn't make any difference. I find that the high note solos are abrasive to my ears and hurt and I think for me the fender on steroids isn't for me. I'm ready to trade it in for a Stilletto Ace or a Marshall JVM410 Combo.

Latest posts

Back