EL34s and 6L6s in the Road King.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which tubes ?

• 6L6s then EL34s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • EL34s then 6L6s

• I honestly cannot tell the difference

• Total voters

waxnsteel

Reaction score
I made a few quick clips at full volume. See if you can tell the difference and name which tubes give what tone.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=420709

There's a clip with a different guitar into each channel.

Another thing is notice that the difference is a very small one, especially when you consider the difference changing speakers or guitar types makes.

I keep seeing people talk in terms of the power tube type defining the amp which is total BS. EL34s don't make all amps sound like MArshalls, 84s Voxes, or 6L6s Fenders. The circuit makes the amp, and the speaker gives it its voice.

I can't take the test because I'm at dail up at present, but let me say judging from my new RK, the 34s are a lot more edgy. I can tell a difference when I switch between the tubes on a channel, so while speakers and circuits change the sound, so does the tube type.

The bass isn't the only thing people refer to as a difference between the two tubes, and I did go through all 4 channels. Sorry there, Short Round. :lol: IMO, the test is very valid. I even used reamped guitar signals (Originally with the amp at the same volume) so performance inconsistencies would not be an issue.

FWIW, I can hear a slight difference, and it does IMO conform to the standard stereotypes of what the tubes offer. Also, IMO, though the clips sound shitty compared to how the amp sounded in the room, the slight difference is noticeable - to me - in the clip. It is very subtle, and IMO in just about any mix, the difference would be insignificant.

I defintely heard a difference, mostly on the top end. 1st time through one the channel 4 and 3 clips. The highs sound more bitting to me almost ice picky, second time they sound more rounded and mellow. So on that note, I'm gonna have ta say el 34's 1st time through, 6l6's second time through.

Ok so your channel 2 roadking clip has a enough gain to call it dirty as opposed to clean right?

Well my roadking in brit mode is only ever clean. Nowhere near the gain you seem to be getting with it?

Are you pushing your amp with a pedal or something or is mine faulty?

:?

Gaz

OK, I'm at a loss here as to your beliefs in the differences between tubes, so here's a little snippet I've quoted.

"There are misguided preconceptions on how tubes like say EL34's and 6l6's supposedly 'sound'. Different tubes do exhibit different characteristics, of course, but there is a lot more to amplifier performance and behavior than power tube selection. Being able to understand how each part will react in a given circuit enables [the designer] to predict how that amplifier will perform with whichever tube or other component is selected. It gives [the designer] the freedom and flexibility to design amplifiers that match [they're] vision of how the amplifier design should behave."

And where is my choice of EL34's & 6L6's? I don't get the poll? The then part?

GazPots said:
Ok so your channel 2 roadking clip has a enough gain to call it dirty as opposed to clean right?

Well my roadking in brit mode is only ever clean. Nowhere near the gain you seem to be getting with it?

Gaz

No pedal. That's the "retard" setting. All knobs maxxed out but the bass is dialed back (not that it matters much). It's also full volume. Master maxxed out, too. It doesn't quite sound like that with the overall master at lower settings, but still dirty. BTW, it's a V1, not 2. I thought I'd heard V2 has more gain on Ch2 Brit.

In any event, a Plexi - Marshall 1987 - jumpered in retard mode is
1 A lot louder
2 more dirt
3 more sustain

jbird said:
OK, I'm at a loss here as to your beliefs in the differences between tubes, so here's a little snippet I've quoted.
"There are misguided preconceptions on how tubes like say EL34's and 6l6's supposedly 'sound'. Different tubes do exhibit different characteristics, of course, but there is a lot more to amplifier performance and behavior than power tube selection. Being able to understand how each part will react in a given circuit enables [the designer] to predict how that amplifier will perform with whichever tube or other component is selected. It gives [the designer] the freedom and flexibility to design amplifiers that match [they're] vision of how the amplifier design should behave."

And where is my choice of EL34's & 6L6's? I don't get the poll? The then part?
That quote summarizes my beliefs pretty well. A lot of people talk about how they want to run their amps with such and such a tube so it will somehow transform it into something it's not. It doesn't work that way.

The poll is to see
A - if people will put their money where their mouths are - I can see that's already not happening - or at least admit that they don't hear enough of a difference to make a call.

2 - if we can get people to stop asking questions like, "Which EL84 amp for me?" or posting about the night and day differences in their amps when they swapped from one output tube type to another since like you quoted, it's only one part of the equation. I've heard as much difference between EL34s and 6L6s as I've heard between 6L6s and 6L6s on different occasions. Of course, I know, that's crazy, but it's kinda like someone who hangs out with Budda trying to get all the other religions to cease and desist. I'm sure it won't ever happen, but I'll do my part.

d - how many of us have the same idea about the differences using different output tubes in the same amp make. Of course, that makes some wild assimptions, like - people have a preconception about the difference, or can hear the difference and aren't just randomly guessing instead of picking the third option if they don't know. Perhaps I should have used a 4th - I hear a difference but don't know what it means" category.

I also have to hope that people actually read and listen, and don't just select one of the first 2 options based on the fact that they think this is a "which do you prefer" poll.

Please don't confuse this whole thing as a "If you don't hear the difference, you suck" kinda thing. Far from it. Just be open enough to listen and be honest with us and yourself. You're not dumb if you don't know the difference, and not only that, you may have never listened for it. Here's a no **** chance to hear it - at least for this amp. There may be other amps that have different results. Guess what, I HAVEN'T HEARD ALL OF THEM. But I have heard a few, and the differences in all of them were very subtle in at least the RK, the Randall MTS rack system, My Blue ANgel(EL84s and 6V6s(or 6L6s)), and my Budda Dual Stage 30 (EL84s and 6L6s)

As for combining the 2, I suppose a fair test could be done if I used hundred watt settings, but I used 50 watts only. More power alone can have different effects on tone from speaker distortion to Fletcher Munson effects, so I didn't bother using different wattages.

As for your last question, "The then part?" I'm just confused. What do you mean?

El34 first then 6L6 ...

Loving the few guys putting RK clips up (there was that other one in another post by 'lactose') :D

I ordered my RK-II start of march and its due to arrive mid july!!! :cry:
Im in UK and the guy at my store told me they were in high demand and short supply for UK. He said only two come july (one being mine) and the next shipping would be christmas! (anyone here in UK who knows or heard different please speak up...).

It's all good tho... Anyone who can be bothered or interested please post more RK clips/jams/tests etc... Its all very exciting for me.

+1
EL34s then 6L6s
Subtle difference but the last half has more bass in the chugs … a characteristic of the 6l6.

waxnsteel said:
GazPots said:

Gaz

No pedal. That's the "retard" setting. All knobs maxxed out but the bass is dialed back (not that it matters much). It's also full volume. Master maxxed out, too. It doesn't quite sound like that with the overall master at lower settings, but still dirty. BTW, it's a V1, not 2. I thought I'd heard V2 has more gain on Ch2 Brit.

In any event, a Plexi - Marshall 1987 - jumpered in retard mode is
1 A lot louder
2 more dirt
3 more sustain

Listening to the Clean clips, I was just about to ask whcih version RK this is....It certainly did not sound like the RK II.

Nothing to do with your playing, but that RK I cleans are uninspiring.

Kinda shocked that out of all the guys who claim to want to know what amps sound like and what differences small changes make to their tone that so few would listen and vote.

Final tally
6L6s then EL34s
36% [ 4 ]
EL34s then 6L6s
54% [ 6 ]
I honestly cannot tell the difference
9% [ 1 ]

Total Votes : 11

It was actually 6L6s first, then EL34s in all 4 clips.

Nothing to be ashamed of if you listened and voted option 2 or 3. It's juts not a huge difference. At least you listened, and now have heard the difference - for that amp. I make no claim that swapping output tubes in every amp makes the same difference.

Gutted! :?

You kept the settings per clip when switching right?

Im curious, has anyone got anything for comparing say a recto (not RK) with its 6L6 set and then swap in an EL34 set and see if thats any diff? without seeing just exactly what an RK clicks over in its circuitry when swapping it leaves a bit of grey area where as in the normal recto's tube and bias shift, you know there really can be only one variable...?

and course if any one has cracked open a RK and inspected such things, what is it? ... dont ruin no warrantys tho :shock:

Absolutely kept all the settings the same except for turning the knob from 2x6L6 to 2xEL34. Didn't touch mic placement, or gain on the mic pre. No plugins. This was as "all things equal" as you can get.

I did the same thing, recorded some RKII clips comparing EL34 vs 6L6. The difference was minimal. I had it in spongy mode with the masters way up. Maybe I am not setting it up the right way to bring out the difference.

Well, to bring out the best qualities/differences of each tube type, I would readjust the EQ circuit! What's the point of putting different tubes in, and not adjusting the amp for 'em? I don't get this thread? Your not utilizing the tubes?

That IS half the point. Half the point is the difference is very subtle. Almost insignificant. The other point is most people can't tell the difference. There's really not that much to utilize.

The only reason I thnk I can tell the difference is because I've spent a lot of time with the amp.

If I EQ'd them differently, it wouldn't magically produce a change, cause then I could just switch tube types at the given setting and still have just about the same exact sound. Swapping output tubes doesn't take you from Cali to London.

IMO, it doesn't make tube switching a useless feature. There's still Triode mode and wattage mismatching.

lactose said:
I did the same thing, recorded some RKII clips comparing EL34 vs 6L6. The difference was minimal. I had it in spongy mode with the masters way up. Maybe I am not setting it up the right way to bring out the difference.

Heard em, sounded real good.

Back