El34 or 6L6...Foo Fighters/Stp/Rock tones?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibsonandmesa

Reaction score
I use a mesa dual, and have been experimenting with tones. I have been trying to get tones like STP/FOO...I know Foo uses duals/road kings..any idea on which tubes they use?

Wen my band plays STP or Foo, I get better results with channel 3 or 4 and the modern settings with 6L6's for the heavier stuff, but I do use ch 2 with brit mode and 2 EL34's for the crunchy/cleaner stuff. (on the Road King, of course)

RB

It's a tough call.

STP used VoxAC30's into Marshall 4x12 stacks if I remember correctly and that's a british power section (el84). From what I understand Foo's use Dual Rec's with 6L6's (based on what I heard live, the 'thump' was classically 6L6 sounding).

I've got EL34/84's in my Dual Rec now and I feel I can nail both of those bands perfectly, it's all about how you dial it in though. Soundgarden used a Dual Rec to record all of Superunknown as well.

Best advice I have.. order 4 replacement 6L6's and 4 replacemet EL34's and see which one you like best.. Personally for MY ears I love the dual rec with 34's in it and I don't plan on going back to 6L6's because there's something strangely satisfying about the EL34 crunch and tight bass. Some people understandibly prefer the bigger thump of a 6L6. According to Bob from Eurotubes the bias is set 'just right' in the EL34 mode and very cold in the 6L6 mode.

Either way I can tell you that with the stock 6L6's and my new power section I was able to get 90% of the way there for both bands with little to no effort so don't worry about it too much.

Platypus said:
Soundgarden used a Dual Rec to record all of Superunknown as well.

Do you have a link to where you found that info?, I'd like to read up on that album

KT: I guess. I switched to a C tuning this time. And there's a couple of songs that are performed in regular tuning. The advantage to using alternatine tunings is you can get natural doubling or chorus effects, like a 12 string. I'm more comfortable with alternate tunings than with standard. When I'm in a D tuning, I do all that boogie sort of Skynrd stuff or some weird new wave thing.[laughs]

GW: Is that to compensate for a small amp?

KT: [laughs] Yeah, I have Peavey Envy!

GW: Your sound has changed in many ways besides your use of the C tuning. Your guitar tones, for instance.

CC: We changed our sound around in a day and a half. We were using new amps, Dual Rectifiers, but neither of us knew about its full capabilities because they can do all these things. They have modern settings, vintage settings, silicon diodes or tubes, two different kinds of tubes-- and this is all in one amp. They also have two different channels, and how you set that up changes the way each channel responds. We'd been screwing around with them for about a week and Kim finally figured them out. We knew we could make those things sound like us, but didn't know how

^^Completely awesome :)

Platypus said:
It's a tough call.

STP used VoxAC30's into Marshall 4x12 stacks if I remember correctly and that's a british power section (el84).

As far as the Heavier tones are concerned, Dean used a Demeter TGP tube preamp into VHT power amps. He blended the AC30's in with that.

Latest posts

Back