EL-34's VS. 6L6

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mule#1

Reaction score
Who uses 34's in their MK V? and what do you think you think is different? I'd like to try it out. I have always liked 6L6's in my Mesas. I tried them in my MK IV once but always went back to 6L6 or 5881's.

I use 34s, actually E34Ls, which are a slight variation made by JJ. I switched from 6L6s years ago, basically doing a total flip flop from what I had been using all around, gear-wise.

While it isn't night and day, it is noticeable. 6l6s get a more rounded top end and a tighter low end, you'll notice this when playing leads or on clean tones. Think of Eric Johnson's clean tone, to me that is quintessential 6l6 clean tone. And any chicken pickin country. More sustain, too.

EL34s are more midrangey; they get a low-mid growl. Very british. Judas Priest, Def Leppard High n Dry, AC/DC. Single notes may seem thin up high, clean tones arent as full. However, on the MK5, channel 1 still gets great clean tones with EL34s.

Like I said, it isn't night and day. It's just part of the chain. I went from playing hot rodded strats with high output pickups, 6l6 tubes and EV speakers to playing Les Pauls and Teles with lower output pickups, EL34 tubes, and Greenback style speakers. I did this all at once!

Jedro said:
I use 34s, actually E34Ls, which are a slight variation made by JJ. I switched from 6L6s years ago, basically doing a total flip flop from what I had been using all around, gear-wise.

While it isn't night and day, it is noticeable. 6l6s get a more rounded top end and a tighter low end, you'll notice this when playing leads or on clean tones. Think of Eric Johnson's clean tone, to me that is quintessential 6l6 clean tone. And any chicken pickin country. More sustain, too.

EL34s are more midrangey; they get a low-mid growl. Very british. Judas Priest, Def Leppard High n Dry, AC/DC. Single notes may seem thin up high, clean tones arent as full. However, on the MK5, channel 1 still gets great clean tones with EL34s.

Like I said, it isn't night and day. It's just part of the chain. I went from playing hot rodded strats with high output pickups, 6l6 tubes and EV speakers to playing Les Pauls and Teles with lower output pickups, EL34 tubes, and Greenback style speakers. I did this all at once!

Thanks for the reply! i love the MK V with 6L6's but am thinking I might want to try that EL34 midrange thump for a while. It's great you can do this with Mesa's. I tried it in my MK IV before I had the V but the cleans suffered too much. I did like the High Gain sound with them. The on line clip comparisons don't sound too much different from one another. I am using Gibson's as well.

I really love the sound of my Mark V with EL 34s
I am ,unfortanely,going to have to sell my Mark V head.
I do have an electraydyne which I use el34s in and IT
If anyone is interested in the v I m asking $ 1750 it is DEAD MINT
3+ yrs left on warranty
Peace

Mark

Ok right now Im close to having chn 3 sound like my soldano but there's still something missing. To my understanding the slo and its variants( HR50) in my case are based on the Mark2. I cannot find the tight sounding lower mids that make the soldano smooth sounding. Will the el34's get me closer???? Both amps run 6l6is so im stumped. I can get every other tone from the Mkv. :?

tonedragon said:
Ok right now Im close to having chn 3 sound like my soldano but there's still something missing. To my understanding the slo and its variants( HR50) in my case are based on the Mark2. I cannot find the tight sounding lower mids that make the soldano smooth sounding. Will the el34's get me closer???? Both amps run 6l6is so im stumped. I can get every other tone from the Mkv. :?

The SLO actually uses 5881 tubes which are considered in the 6L6 family but are a totally different tone! You might want to try those in your MK V. Mesa 425,s are 5881's. They were Russian Military grade tubes!

Where did you here the SLO was based on the MK II?

I tried JJ el34's

It was a give and take. I did not like what it did to ch2 but liked ch3 better, kinda, maybe. I struggled to bond with the MKV honestly.

It's not a ton of coin to try them. No dramatic difference. I would equate it as the same difference as cheddar or Swiss on your burger.

At the end of the day I sold my MKV and now have a Recto Verb and MKIIC. For Marshall tones I got a cheap DSL100 used for 600 and it sounds great. When I'm in a marshall mood it covers that base. Nothing Mesa ever sounded like a Marshall to me.

I spend the extra coin for Mesa so t will be an angry pissed off Mesa anyway.

Embrace the dark side. Go ahead and que up Sad But True and let the Mesa tone rule :lol: :lol:

I just tried some JJ EL34s in my Mark V head. I didn't like it near as much as the Mesa 6l6s. The funny thing is that I hardly noticed any difference in the clean channel. From my research, I was expecting a noticeable loss in quality there, but the clean channel with the EL34s was just as good to my ears. Channel 2 and 3, on the other hand, did not suit my tastes near as much with the EL34s. It's a hard thing to describe. It was "older", mushier, and fuzzier sounding. I love the preciseness of the 6L6 sound. With the 6L6s it sounds ballsy but controlled, crisp, TIGHT, "smooth metallic". With the EL34s it sounded less controlled, mushier, and more vintage. I can understand why many have said the EL34s are more suited for vintage 70s and 80s rock. With the 6L6s, my Mark V is like a Lamborghini, with the EL34s it's like a 1980s Camaro.

Now, anyone want to buy a matched quad of JJ EL34s with less than one hour on them? :wink:

Back