El 34's should not be used with Solid state setting of DR?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stompboxfreak72

Reaction score
I have tried El34's in my Dual Rectifier in the past and really like the change of pace it can give over 6l6's. Of course I get bored and go back and forth between the two.

I noticed while putting El34's in today that the DR actually says right on the amp the El34's should be used with Vaccum tubes i.e not in solid state mode. I have always used solid state rectifier mode regardless of tubes.
The one thing I have noticed is that I can't get El34's to last more than a few months and then I eventually blow a fuse.

Is it safe to assume that the average lifespan of El34's will be prolonged by using my DR in tube mode ? This might seem silly but I never noticed this before.

Anyone with any insight please advise !

i thought it just said to use the correct setting of the bias switch?

i did it for a while and even spoke to mesa boogie about it and asked that specific question and they said its not a problem and nothing bad happened at all... maybe its only in certain rectifiers?

mine was 3 channel

do you have a 2 channel or tremoverb etc.?

I have a 3 channel DR from 2001, and I've been running EL-34's in solid state mode almost since then. And I'm getting some pretty good tube life as well.

I just noticed it a few minutes ago when I retubed my amp. It looks more like a recommendation than anything else.

I had never noticed it before. Like I said, I've been running the SS rectifier and getting some decent tube life.

Never had a problem on my '00 two channel Dual? Though it say's nowhere on that amp not to do it!

stompboxfreak72 said:
My '01 dual rectifier has it printed on the back of the amp.

As does mine. When I used EL34's I stuck with the tube rectifiers simply because I like the tone better this way... if anything it might strain your tube life.

It changes the bias slightly when you change rectifier modes, and brings it out of the mesa "acceptable" range for their tubes. I would be interested in knowing if the person having problems is using different tubes than the people who have been doing it without any issues.

I own a Single Rec with the bias switch. I have been running EL34 tubes since the beginning of October. There isn't a warning on the back of my amp. Then again I don't even have tube rectification! On the Single Recs its only solid state.

So in my opinion they wouldn't put something that isn't safe as "the only option" in running EL34s one rectifier amp that isn't ok for another. Weird...

Thats interesting RyanDM......and I own a single and Dual and had not thought of that.

I have only used Mesa El34's and no other brand of El34's so maybe I need to give it another go and see what happens.

The last time I used EL34's my DR died and ended up in the shop under warranty. I have always equated the the two but maybe my power issues would have happened regardless ( my 2nd and3rd channels died during a gig and I had to finish the night playing thru the clean channel with only a tubescreamer trying to play a Tool medley.......total nightmare!).

Latest posts

Back