EL-34s in the MKIV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fdesalvo

Reaction score
Two things:

1. Is there a noticeable difference when running EL-34s in the MKIV?
2. For the rack mount, I barely have space beneath the 6L6s and the floor of the rack- I can’ t imagine EL34s having room in here. Any comments?

I have JJ EL34L's in my IV. They are soooo much smoother than 6l6's but you will lose a little low end. Not to worry though because the small ammount you lose can be made up for with a bump of the 80hz slider. :D I don't think the EL's hang much lower than the 6l6's. If space is a problem then I would modify or replace my rack. They sound good enough to justify it. Everyone seems to love the winged c's. I havn't tried them yet but plan to. I got mine from eurotubes because they were only $27 for a matched pair and are rated for the outer sockets of the Mark IV.

I've tried a bunch and settled on the SED =C= EL34s. You will lose a tad bit of low end as the previous poster stated but you can always fix that with the EQ. I think it adds a nicer crunch, especially to R2.

I have a rackmounted Mark IV in the bottom slot of my rack. I have run KT77s, EL34s and 6L6s. Right now I have Winged C 6L6s which I like the best so far with a close second being 6L6/EL34 blend. The is no issues with space between the tubes and bottom of the rack case. I believe that judging by the Winged C 6L6s I have that the Winged C EL34s would kick some serious *** and Winged C blended would be awesome as well.

I have a pair of NOS Seimens EL-34's in my Mark IV. In class A with a Les Paul (triad mode) it's like listening to the old Bluesbreaker's album and hearing that great guitar sound.

Latest posts

Back