EL-34's in a Recto?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennq45

Reaction score
Anybody running EL-34's in there Recto's and what brands do you like? I have never been a huge fan of 6L6's unless there in a nice old Fender. Any suggestions.

Same here. I don't really care for the sound of 6L6's at all. I've been running EH EL-34's with a pair of THD Yellowjackets in mine for about 4 years now and I like them a lot. I'm considering going to a pair of JJ EL-34L's next time I retube.

Sounds more vintagy, but aggressive.

I'm running Ruby EL-34BSTR's in mine. They are very open and have lots of headroom. They are a very good choice. I also like the winged -C- EL-34's and have them in my other amps, but I haven't tried them in the recto. The winged -C-'s are a bit more of a "traditional" sounding EL-34 tube with a bit more compression. The Rubys remind me a little of a 6CA7. Just depends what you want. Both are great tubes.

Some people think the JJ's have too much bottom end. Others love that about them. I haven't tried them in the recto myself so I can't comment.

-Steve

I use my Dual Rec with EL34's and I love it. I'm probably going to go back to 6L6's once my stiletto arrives but it's awesome the way it is now. I love the crunch of an EL34 breaking up..

El34's in a Recto..... I like it!! It'll bring up the mid range, take the sizzle out, tighten up the bottom end (but not as low) and give you a "stiffer" attack. But it'll still sound like a Rectifier, but a bit different color (if you will). I like 6L6's and EL34 each for their different traits..... I've currently got a Road King so I can have both at any time or any combination of the two.

Ok, it's really late now 5:30am (just got home from the show a little while ago) so I'm going to bed!

I really like the way my recto sounds with the JJ EL34L's. GZ34 rec. tubes.and the JJ pre-amp tubes. Been using 6L6's for years. Wanted a little more brit. sound and it seemed to do the trick!

telestrat3105 said:
do you guys get them ordered for your mesa's or just any matched set?

Mesa uses a fixed bias so you'll want to get tubes that are in that fixed operating range. All tube dealers I've dealt with online will simply ask what amplifier you're buying tubes for and set you up with a set that are within said operating range. This is VERY important.

Back