EL-34s in a Lonestar?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes yes yes. They rock. Although I use 6l6 for most tones in my lonestar my other one is loaded with 34's and has a unreal dirty channel tone. Its way better than the aweful stiletto ace which I find nosiy an harsh. The lonestar with 34s is a fantastic amp

I preferred the 6L6's in mine. The EL34's had some chime that sounded nice, but lacked the fullness that I've grown accustomed to.

I posted a couple of clips here a while back... this is me playing on my LSC with EL-34'bstr (Rubys),
a 48th Street Custom Guitar with a vintage DiMarzio Super Distortion that I got back in the day from DiMarzio as a gift.

I don't have any Pedals/Effects in line here.. this is Guitar to Amp. I love the amp with these el34's in it.
I was pretty much hoping to achieve what I got.. Kah-Runch... Diggit, a big Thumbs up.

Lonestar/el34 :lol:

I have an LSC Head. Here's what I did..

Purchased a Integrated Quad set from Eurotubes (2 each, JJ 6L6's and EL34's with matching gain). I plugged the 6L6's in the two center sockets and the EL34's in the two outside sockets. Put the selector switch to EL34.

I set the Clean channel to 100W and the Drive channel to 50W. That way I get a wonderful clean channel with the advantages of both tube types and a great Drive channel with all the EL34 crunch, etc.

I've used it on three gigs so far, with no issues at all.

He's right 100 watts clean and 50 dirty is a nice way to do it but cleans are better 6l6 but I dont use one. I use two swicth between them. Its acaully a head on top of a combo with 34's and the combo with 6l6's. So I swicth via head swicther tonebone and have wonderful tones that blow away the ace I had and I think the c-90 speakers make a big low end thump and smooth highs with the open back. I prefer the tone to the closed back

interesting stuff guys - thanks! actually I don't know that I need/want a change in the distortion channel, I just want more clean snap / punch / bark (NOT clipping or brown-out) on the clean side. I wish I would have recorded my ROV before I sold it... when set to "pushed" the clean channel had THE sound I love. D'oh.

Dreads said:
I posted a couple of clips here a while back... this is me playing on my LSC with EL-34'bstr (Rubys),
a 48th Street Custom Guitar with a vintage DiMarzio Super Distortion that I got back in the day from DiMarzio as a gift.

I don't have any Pedals/Effects in line here.. this is Guitar to Amp. I love the amp with these el34's in it.
I was pretty much hoping to achieve what I got.. Kah-Runch... Diggit, a big Thumbs up.

Lonestar/el34 :lol:

Excellent tone! Thanks for posting. I played a Lonestar once in a store, and I really like the envelope Mesa put on this one.

my pleasure! The Lonestar is a great amp. I have been happy with it so far. I think they should have a sticky type thingy with these types of clips. I see this question about the lonestar-with-el34's pop up every now and again... plus questions about the sound of other amps/configurations. It's much better than typed descriptions of the sound you'll likely get in my [not so humble] opinion. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back