Effects loop

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spot

Reaction score
Maybe this has been brought up before - sorry i it has. Is it better to run effects (Delay, Chorus, wah) in front of the preamp or through the effects loop in front of the power amp?

With a parallel FX loop, I find it best to run all time based FX in the loop (Delay, Reverb) and all modulation FX in front of the amp (Chorus, phaser, flange, ect...).

In a serial or series loop, I like them all in the loop.

I ALWAYS run my wah in front of my amp though.

I agree completely...time based fx in the loop and mod fx in front of amp.
However a question...how about wah, should it go in front of, or behind mod fx like phaser/flange/chorus? Currently I am running it in front of the mod fx and it seems to sound best...?

It matters only if you use (pre)amp distortion. But in the end, it comes down to what sounds the best. The only things that need technically to be in the loop are rack processors, but pedals can do both, in any order you like. I have all my effects (Pod XT Live) infront of the amp.

I was told that I'm supose to put a noise gate in the effects loop (after the preamp) so would that go before or after the delay?

spot said:
I was told that I'm supose to put a noise gate in the effects loop (after the preamp) so would that go before or after the delay?
The noise gate when used in the loop should go before the delay.

You should have a "Mix" knob on your Loop.

I think it's on the Left Side if you look at it from the back.

If you use Mod FX in front of the amp and time-based FX in the Loop, set the Mix knob to middle and adjust it to taste.

If you use all FX in the Loop, turn the Mix knob all the way up. This should turn the Loop into a Serial Loop.

Here is my setup:

Guitars:
2000 US Strat Deluxe, Ash body, Rosewood fretboard, Lace Hot Gold pickups, H-S-S
2004 US Strat Deluxe (2), Alder body, Maple fretboard, SCN pickups, S-1 switching, S-S-S
1997 PRS Custom 24, Mahogany body, Rosewood fretboard, Duncan Alnico II (Neck pickup), Duncan Custom 5 (Bridge pickup)
2005 Warmoth Soloist, Mahogany/Flame Maple body, Birdseye Maple neck, PRS Vintage Bass (Neck pickup), Fender SCN (Mid pickup), DiMarzio Megadrive (Bridge pickup)

Amps:
Mesa DC-2
Mesa DC-3

Setup:
Guitar___Boss TU-2 Tuner Pedal___Home made Solo Boost pedal___Morley Bad Horsie II Wah Pedal___Amp input___TC Electronics G-Major in the Loop with the Mix knob turned almost all the way up___Celestion Heritage speakers.

All of the guitars sound amazing through this setup, and I haven't even begun to explore all the tones I can get. I will have my hands full for the next 5 years.

Latest posts

Back