Effects loop

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoomzilla

Reaction score
Ok, I have read my manual and I have gotten the solo switch on the footswitch to work, but here is my question. I have put a patch cable in the effects loop so I could enable it, but I don't know what the best settings would be. I have a 3 channel dual rec. What would be the best setting for the send and receive knobs on the back and the output knob on the front? Do you want the output knob at 12 and then adjust the master on each channel, or do you want the output lower so you can crank up the masters? I don't know what would be the best thing to do. I can figure out what sound best to me, but I don't want to damage anything by doing it incorrectly. Right now I have my footswitch set to footswitch and my loop set to footswitch. I have the send and receive a little past normal and the output at about 12. When I do that, the master on the 3rd channel for example can be at about 8 oclock, if I turn it up more, then it is super loud. This thing really sounds much better with the patch cable in the loop, I had the loop disabled before, but I don't want to damage anything by doing it wrong. Sorry for being a noob, but this is my first Mesa and I don't want to damage it.

Zoomzilla said:
...I can figure out what sound best to me...

You have answered your own question my friend...you're not going to damage anything (except maybe your hearing) twisting knobs, so go for it.

That said, I have had the best results with the Loop Send at unity gain (no vol change when footswitching loop on/off) which you will find is around 1:30 on the knob. FX Mix to taste depending on what effects you are using...if there's nothing in the loop but the patch cable, set Mix to zero. You don't really need that cable there, that's a trick to use the FX loop as a gain boost on the old 2-channel Recto but it doesn't really do anything for the newer 3-ch model.

I like to run the Output at least 11:00 (1:00 is better IMO), and set the Channel Masters to get the appropriate volume and balance between channels.

Yes, 12:00 Output and 8-9:00 Ch 3 Modern is loud. Try setting your clean Ch Master around 12:00 and balance the other two channels with that, and back off on the Output till you reach a manageable volume...you wont really lose much in the tone department, but remember this is a concert amp and will perform its best when you can jam it up.

NoGlassNoClass said:
Zoomzilla said:
...I can figure out what sound best to me...

You have answered your own question my friend...you're not going to damage anything (except maybe your hearing) twisting knobs, so go for it.

That said, I have had the best results with the Loop Send at unity gain (no vol change when footswitching loop on/off) which you will find is around 1:30 on the knob. FX Mix to taste depending on what effects you are using...if there's nothing in the loop but the patch cable, set Mix to zero. You don't really need that cable there, that's a trick to use the FX loop as a gain boost on the old 2-channel Recto but it doesn't really do anything for the newer 3-ch model.

I like to run the Output at least 11:00 (1:00 is better IMO), and set the Channel Masters to get the appropriate volume and balance between channels.

Yes, 12:00 Output and 8-9:00 Ch 3 Modern is loud. Try setting your clean Ch Master around 12:00 and balance the other two channels with that, and back off on the Output till you reach a manageable volume...you wont really lose much in the tone department, but remember this is a concert amp and will perform its best when you can jam it up.

Cool, great advice my friend. So if I don't need the patch cable there, then I will not use it. I am waiting to crank this amp, but have not been in a situation to do it. I have had the loop disabled and the master on channel 3 at about 12 oclock. It was just starting to kick in. Maybe tomorrow I will try to crank this sucker. I have not had much time on it, work has me super busy right now, but I want to see what this thing will do. Oh, one more question for all you Mesa gurus. I am going to get an ISP decimator for my Mesa, would it be best to put it before the input or in the effects loop?

I also use the ISP (pedal). If you wan to spend the $ on the rack version you can run it in front and in the loop, but the pedal can be used effectively in either spot. I prefer it up front, to silence the guitar btween songs and to prevent feedback during percussive start-stop riffing. There is still some slight hiss from the amp but nothing really bothersome. If you put it in the loop, you have tu turn the FX Mix all the way up, and I dont llike what that does to delay and reverb pedals in the loop.

I second what NoGlassNoClass said about his settings. I have found those to be the best overall for what I have been sending through the back. Recently I have been trying to go w/out the amps loop, and run them through a pedal with a loop I can shut on and off. The only reason I've been trying this is I couldn't seem to get away from taking a loss in tone with the amps FX loop. Recently one of the forum members mentioned how he had been doing this, and it sparked an intrest with me.

Then maybe I just have too many effects. Is that possible? j/k

Mike

Back