Effects loop volume

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philosopher

Reaction score
So, everything I hook in the loop of the V90 makes a big volume drop. I have a couple multi effects units available atm.
When I jump send to return with a cable no issues, no volume loss, perfect, so I suppose no issue in the amp's circuitry or tube.
Any effect I put (w volume maxed) drops volume and sounds muffled (<= probably a volume drop perception issue)

Is the loop only intended for pro level effects?

So, everything I hook in the loop of the V90 makes a big volume drop. I have a couple multi effects units available atm.
When I jump send to return with a cable no issues, no volume loss, perfect, so I suppose no issue in the amp's circuitry or tube.
Any effect I put (w volume maxed) drops volume and sounds muffled (<= probably a volume drop perception issue)

Is the loop only intended for pro level effects?

Yes. It is a +4db (and beyond) loop.

Get some line level effects and it’ll serve you well 😁 you could experiment by lowering channel masters, fiddling with back panel fx level and raising output vol to compensate if you can get all to unity levels..

It’s a bit of a trial and error (mostly errors but such is the learning process with these things 🤣)

Yes. It is a +4db (and beyond) loop.

Get some line level effects and it’ll serve you well 😁 you could experiment by lowering channel masters, fiddling with back panel fx level and raising output vol to compensate if you can get all to unity levels..

It’s a bit of a trial and error (mostly errors but such is the learning process with these things 🤣)
Little experience on the amp yet, but the level matching between channels, fx and master has a meaning on its own.
Having to mess with them just so that a delay works OK is a pity

I would still try a different tube in the FX return stage V6. It could also have something to do with buffers/impedance mismatches.
The FX send level knob is at noon?
When I got my Mk V, it had a big volume drop when FX loop engaged, and some other noise & signal loss issues. I replaced all the preamp tubes and it's been fine. I have a LOT of pedals and rack units in the loop, and several signal splits to return it to 3 amps for stereo w/d/w.
Digital and analog pedals, all work fine in the loop. One of them has switches for guitar/line level I/O, and it works in either position with just a slight difference in volume.

I would still try a different tube in the FX return stage V6. It could also have something to do with buffers/impedance mismatches.
The FX send level knob is at noon?
When I got my Mk V, it had a big volume drop when FX loop engaged, and some other noise & signal loss issues. I replaced all the preamp tubes and it's been fine. I have a LOT of pedals and rack units in the loop, and several signal splits to return it to 3 amps for stereo w/d/w.
Digital and analog pedals, all work fine in the loop. One of them has switches for guitar/line level I/O, and it works in either position with just a slight difference in volume.
Interesting, thanks
But wouldn't it make a difference with just the jumper cable too?
I'll try a new tube though, why not

Interesting, thanks
But wouldn't it make a difference with just the jumper cable too?
I'll try a new tube though, why not
Yeah, that's making me think it's impedance related. Just yesterday I was dealing with a compressor pedal in front of the amp dropping volume when engaged, but engaging an overdrive after it brought the level back up to normal. I don't really remember, but I think what solved it was putting the comp on the same daisy-chain as the overdrives, so there was probably some issue with the ground and impedance/buffers. If you have any other pedal, try it in the loop before and after the device in question. See if having another pedal in there (on or off) makes any difference. You might just need to put a buffer in there. Saturnworkspedals.com has good ones for a good price. Lots of different useful utility pedals.
Are the amp and device plugged into the same outlet?

I have 3 regular stompboxes in my v90 loop, no loss at all really. Boss delay, mxr chorus, beatbuddy mini 2. ???????

I had a lot of problems with my Mark V effects loop too, tried messing with the FX send level on the back and compensating for the resulting volume drop by turning the master output way up. That resulted in a much louder popping sound when switching channels. So now I use only line level effects in the loop

So, people have issues and others don't. Weird.
Maybe they changed the loop somewhere along the line? Mine is a 2009 which has the issue.

Are you able to tell the year from the serial number? Mine is newer based on the footswitch style but other than that I don't know what year it is

So, people have issues and others don't. Weird.
Maybe they changed the loop somewhere along the line? Mine is a 2009 which has the issue.
Mine is 2012. They did make some kind of change to ch3 ~2010 or so, but I don't know if it involved the FX loop.
Email Mesa support, they replied to my recent question the next day.

Are you able to tell the year from the serial number? Mine is newer based on the footswitch style but other than that I don't know what year it is
Mine has a date handwritten in silver paint pen by the power tubes. I'm assuming it's the date of manufacture, but maybe it's denoting a service or tube replacement...

Mine has a date handwritten in silver paint pen by the power tubes. I'm assuming it's the date of manufacture, but maybe it's denoting a service or tube replacement...
Ok cool, I'll take a look there! I bought it brand new so if it has a date, I would assume it has to be date of manufacture

Well that's embarrassing...

I swapped in and out the v6 tube, only to realize, in the process, the problem was a cable...

I know, should have tested cables first, but the **** @@@@ was working fine for years in the loop of a vht and decided to fail when it got pulled to serve the v90.
It's also the first time a cable fails me like that. They usually work or they don't. This one works but with dropped volume. Poor solder contact most probably.

Nahhh

So, when having an issue, always check the obvious suspect first ...

PS. Regarding dates, mine has hand written date near the s/n next to the power tubes, visible, at an angle, without unscrewing

I have 2011 in silver marker on mine. All of my comments about my amp come with a huge caveat, ive never had it above 80dB, i live in an apartment. My amp really doesn't have the "icepick" highs, and my FX loop seems to be fine. Who knows. ✝️

I have 2011 in silver marker on mine. All of my comments about my amp come with a huge caveat, ive never had it above 80dB, i live in an apartment. My amp really doesn't have the "icepick" highs, and my FX loop seems to be fine. Who knows. ✝️
I'm in an apartment, too. I've never been able to experience my amps at their full potential. I made IRs of my speakers and run the slave out into the IR plugin with a reactive load on the amp.

Well that's embarrassing...

I swapped in and out the v6 tube, only to realize, in the process, the problem was a cable...

I know, should have tested cables first, but the **** @@@@ was working fine for years in the loop of a vht and decided to fail when it got pulled to serve the v90.
It's also the first time a cable fails me like that. They usually work or they don't. This one works but with dropped volume. Poor solder contact most probably.

Nahhh

So, when having an issue, always check the obvious suspect first ...

PS. Regarding dates, mine has hand written date near the s/n next to the power tubes, visible, at an angle, without unscrewing
Glad to hear it was cable 😁

Latest posts

Back