Effects loop problems anyone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kungfujews

Reaction score
Can anybody help me? I've got a MK IV B short body combo, circa 1993, and I run my Boss DD3 through the effects loop. I generally leave the loop open all the time just to have a mild delay across the board. I've noticed a few problems occuring recently - firstly, the volume has been decreasing severely - the problem would sort itself out whenever I deactivated the effects loop from the footswitch. I thought at first that it might be the pre-amp valve for the loop as after a short while the volume would return when I switched the loop back on. However, when I was gigging the amp last night, it stopped working altogether - no sound at all - and very sudden too... I thought I'd stepped on my lead. The amp was fine when I switched off the effects loop and I was able to continue the rest of the set - albeit without my delay.
I've changed my leads to eliminate that possibility, but I'm a bit worried it might happen again...don't want it stopping in the middle of my solo during Redhouse again! A few questions:
1. If it's a pre-amp valve - would it just stop suddenly - without a cough and a splutter?
2. Will the effects loop valve wear out more quickly if I leave the loop on all the time?
3. If it is the valve - is there a recommended valve for the effects loop?

Hope someone can help me - thanks, and peace.
Jason

happened to me, contact cleaner fixed it, it was just a dirty input jack I figure (every time I disengaged the loop it was also fine)..hasn't done it since (that was well over a year ago)...literally spray contact cleaner on your cable, and **** that FX loop input with it real good..in and out! if that doesn't work it could be something more serious.

cool, let me know if it works! I'm always up for learning for ins and outs of the IV. one of my all time favourite amps.

Latest posts

Back