Effects loop/footswitch problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff R

Reaction score
Curious as to if anyone else has what I think is a problem on my Mark V.

Got it new three months ago and I have not been able to make the FX on/off footswitch feature work. I tried again this morning, this time after re-reading the effects loop portion of the manual a couple of times.

The loop itself works fine, I can assign my delay and chorus to any of the three channels or all three with the back-side rotary knob. But if I engage the footswitch mode on the rotary, the effects just stay on unless I manually turn them off.

The FX LED on the footswitch goes on and off when I switch the footswitch. The LED on the faceplate of the amp, however, does not come on no matter what I try.

Footswitch works fine from what I see. Channel switching and on/offs for reverb, eq, solo, mute all engage properly.

Anyone else have/seen this problem? I'm thinking its a wiring issue of some sort because this amp is ungigged and babied and I've never pulled the chassis or changed tubes yet. I get by around the house by manually clicking my delay and chorus on and off, but I want that FX on/off switch in the event I start gigging again or get called for a sit-in or recording session.

I figured I'd check here before I inquired through cusomer service (they have treated me like a king over the years). In the meantime, input, feedback, etc., on any similar problems out there appreciated!

The FX LED on the footswitch goes on and off when I switch the footswitch. The LED on the faceplate of the amp, however, does not come on no matter what I try.

To clarify that, the faceplate LED doesn't go on or off in the footswitch mode on the effects assign rotary. The LED on the faceplate does work properly in the rotary positions for the individual channels and for "all channels."

Check your footswitch cable. Mark V needs an 8-pin cable, and not the 7-pin (like the Rectifier uses, for example). It seems that many shops sold the wrong cable with Mark V (either that, or Mesa shipped it with the wrong cable out of factory). If you have the 7-pin, then the FX switch is simply not connected to the amp at all.

Sweet tip ... I'll check it tonight first thing when I get home from work. Thanks!

Checked my cable and I do in fact have a seven-pin, so we may have the culprit!

I bought it new locally three months ago and the cable is still minty. Going back to the dealer today to see if I can swap out for an 8-pin. If they can't help me, I'm sure Boogie customer service will step up to the plate.

Thanks again, Jiveman. :)

Glad I could help. Since you bought it so recently, you should be able to get it replaced, either by dealer or Mesa.

In my case, i had the same problem, but I bought mine used. The previous owner had purchased it from a store 9 months before that. I spoke to Mesa about it, and they wouldn't replace it because it was that long ago. Can't really blame them I guess, it's the previous owner's fault for not checking and asking for a replacement early on. Oh well, I use MIDI for switching nowadays, anyways.

Just be sure to act quickly.

Because I'm lazy. :) Update, my local dealer is going to take care of me. They're going to put in for an eight-pin replacement cable for me on the house. My dealer also checked a new Mark V they just received and it had a seven-pin cable with it, so I suspect they're ordering at least two eight-pins.

Eight-pin cable arrived yesterday, and problem fixed - loop is now footswitchable. Sweet! Thanks again!

Argh. Old thread I know, but I just realised I bought a Mark V head with the 7 pin cable as well... :lol:

KH Guitar Freak said:
Argh. Old thread I know, but I just realised I bought a Mark V head with the 7 pin cable as well... :lol:

You'll want the 8 pin cable, or your effects loop won't work from the footswitch. 8)

SteveO said:
KH Guitar Freak said:

You'll want the 8 pin cable, or your effects loop won't work from the footswitch. 8)

Yeah. Noticed that. Gonna head to the dealership to see if they have any in stock...

Back