Effects Loop as an attenuator

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

young774080

Reaction score
Hello,

I've read briefly about using the effects loop on the back of the older rectifiers as a poor man's attenuator but I need to gather more information.

How is this achieved?

Is anybody doing it?

Will this cause any harm to the amp?

Thank you

An "Attenuator" is the electronic term for a passive volume control, which your TR already has with it's Loop Active Output (Master Volume) control.

You can use the FX send control as a volume also, but it is just redundant with the MV.

Unless you are referring to a power-soak (THD Hotplate, Weber Mass, etc.) which is between your amp and speaker cabinet, then no, the FX loop controls are not a power-soak.

What is it that you are trying to accomplish?

Dom

young774080 said:
The same thing as THD's power attenuator

Then you will need a THD Hotplate. The Hotplate is a "volume" control that goes between the amp and speaker, allowing you to crank the amp, but keep the speaker at a reduced volume. These work great with amplifiers that rely on powertube distortion for their sound. The Recto's sound is based on the preamp, and is designed on a somewhat clean output section, which is one of the reason they are biased on the colder side. The fact that the Rectos sound great at loud volumes is due the huge lowend thickness they posses, something you can only get at loud volumes IMO.

I own a THD Hotplate. I found that it's great for bedroom practice so I don't have to re-EQ the amp. For gig levels, the Output control is the better option IMO.

But.......

Everyone's situation is different. If you find that "Your Tone" comes from very low gain settings with a cranked channel master and output then the Power Soak may be for you. If you normally go for high gain tones, with your gain at 1:00 or higher in the Vintage or Modern modes then I think the Power Soak will be a disappointment for you.

YMMV.

Dom

domct203 said:
young774080 said:
The same thing as THD's power attenuator

Then you will need a THD Hotplate. The Hotplate is a "volume" control that goes between the amp and speaker, allowing you to crank the amp, but keep the speaker at a reduced volume.
Exactly. There is no cheap substitute for a power attenuator that will work, simply because the components needed to safely absorb the full power of a 100W tube amp are large and expensive. There are others apart from the Hotplate, but all the ones that would work safely with a Rectifier are in the same cost range.

I own a THD Hotplate. I found that it's great for bedroom practice so I don't have to re-EQ the amp. For gig levels, the Output control is the better option IMO.
Same here. It's great in the house and takes away that slightly flat sound that you get if you run the output level (Loop Active Master, on the older amps) too low. But I've never bothered with it at gigs because it doesn't really sound that much different to just adjusting the amp.

But.......

Everyone's situation is different. If you find that "Your Tone" comes from very low gain settings with a cranked channel master and output then the Power Soak may be for you.
Exactly. Recently I've started to need lower-gain sounds with a more pushed-power-amp sort of feel (the tube rectifier compression you only get when the amp is turned up high), but in a quieter band, so I may start taking the Hotplate to gigs as well.

Latest posts

Back