Effects in the FX Loop

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Muscles

Reaction score
Can someone point me to a good pedal delay or analog chorus that will werk in the M5 effects loop? I am rethinking my effect sitch and want to see what others are doing for their delay/modulation needs. I have noticed that (obviously) placing time based effects in front of this amp sounds pretty bad.

I picked up a TC Electronics Nova Delay and a Visual Sound Liquid Chorus. I just got them and I am still tweaking it. I am very happy with them.

I have been using my DD20 with great results for several years now. The Nova Delay is an excellent unit too. Both of these units have line level and instrument level settings.

MXR Carbon Copy is great for the analog styley at $150....

I use 1 of them, and DD-7 for my digital delays.

phyrexia said:
I have been using my DD20 with great results for several years now. The Nova Delay is an excellent unit too. Both of these units have line level and instrument level settings.

I have a DD-20 and a Nova System - I'd recommend both as well the Nova Delay. The Nova Delay has a really cool feature that I don't think has made it to any other pedals (Eventide perhaps?) - where you can hold a foot-switch, play guitar and it picks up the tempo based on your playing rhythm. The only reason I'm sticking with the Nova System over that is that it's got a lot of other great effects too. BTW, the sound quality on that unit is better than anything else I've tried...

Dave

I am getting a G-System for everything. I might keep the DD20 for another smaller rig.

Ha I called them "units"...I have worked at the guitar store for too long :lol:

phyrexia said:
How well does this work in practice? I've heard some people complain about it.
I haven't had any problems with it, but it works the best if you play a the cleanest muted clack kind of sound you can get in the current patch. I love my Nova Delay, it's so much cleaner sounding, easier to use, and versatile than that stupid green Line 6 you see everywhere.

-dave

phyrexia said:
DaveDaveDave said:
phyrexia said:
where you can hold a foot-switch, play guitar and it picks up the tempo based on your playing rhythm.
Dave

How well does this work in practice? I've heard some people complain about it.

It works perfect in practice on the Nova Delay. Have never heard anyone having issues with it.
The ND also has 9 presets & a small footprint.

As for Chorus pedals you can't beat the Analogman Bi-chorus or Mini-Chorus.
True bypass, great tones and an excellent Leslie.

As with all Mesa amps I think it's counter productive to plug in anything but the best quality pedals.
I'm always surprised to see people stick on tone sucking Boss and Line 6 pedals onto their Mesa though :)

I got some air time with the Mark V head and my two new pedals earlier. I am more than satisfied.

I plugged the TC Nova Delay in the loop and ran the Visual Sound Liquid Chorus in to the front of the amp. It sounds amazing!!

I am using the Fat Clean, Mark I, and the IIC+ switches.

DaveDaveDave said:
phyrexia said:

I have a DD-20 and a Nova System - I'd recommend both as well the Nova Delay. The Nova Delay has a really cool feature that I don't think has made it to any other pedals (Eventide perhaps?) - where you can hold a foot-switch, play guitar and it picks up the tempo based on your playing rhythm. The only reason I'm sticking with the Nova System over that is that it's got a lot of other great effects too. BTW, the sound quality on that unit is better than anything else I've tried...

Dave
Hi Dave! actually i think Digitech came up with that idea before tc. But im not a digitech fan though haha

Mungo Zen said:
I spent the bucks on Eventide's Timefactor and Modfactor. Both really awesome pedals. I hope to have some samples online when my head arrives.

Hey man thats great i have been considering that stuff!! but where do you place the Modfactor though? Aside from chorus which works both ways i think the modulation effects work best in front of the preamp

Let us know how you like it with the mark!!

4406cuda said:
I got some air time with the Mark V head and my two new pedals earlier. I am more than satisfied.

I plugged the TC Nova Delay in the loop and ran the Visual Sound Liquid Chorus in to the front of the amp. It sounds amazing!!

Man i keep hearing great things about that chorus pedal!! how would it compare to a boss CE2 which everybody considers as a classic? (ihavent tried it)

Im considering one! Chorus as i was saaying above is perhaps the only modulation effect that works well in the loop as well as in front of the amp depending on taste.

In the loop though you can use a stereo chorus if you have a stereo setup like two heads or a stereo poweramp (or head!)
So do you think its fine to loose the stereo feature in favor of placing it in front of the amp?

Uncle Muscles said:
I'm looking at the Nova system. Thanks!

It's a great little box - I've had it for about a year now - here's a couple of considerations to save you a little time - gripes, fixes and even praise...

* the initial complaints about the strange way the tap-tempo worked have been fixed in firmware 1.13 (pickup up when the tempo button was released, not when it was tapped. )

* the expression pedal input - you can't use a g-switch and the expression pedal at the same time. I ordered a scratch and dent G-Switch Musicians Friend, and plan on using an EB VpJr after the Nova, like I always have...

* The drive effects are actually ok - actually, really pretty good, HOWEVER - I've NEVER been able to have them sound nice with another drive in front of it, including the Mark V's preamps. Still, if you needed a grab and go pedal with a drive on it to front a clean amp (backline, practice, etc), this 'd work pretty good - so while I generally don't use the drive modules, I consider it a nice option to have, and one that works well in the right situation.

* The compressor is AWESOME. The best compressor I've ever used with a guitar.

* One overlooked effect that is also incredible - use the pitch shifter with a 3 to 12 cent shift and it's a lot like a chorus... use this together with a tremolo and you've got a really cool rotary or ultra lush chorus sound. It rocks.

* There's no Wah, anywhere to be found on it. Other features that users generally ***** about on the boards is that there's no preamp-insert like the G-System has, for the ol' e4 cable method...

Hope this helps.

Dave

Uncle Muscles said:
I'm looking at the Nova system. Thanks!

It's a great little box - I've had it for about a year now - here's a couple of considerations to save you a little time - gripes, fixes and even praise...

* the initial complaints about the strange way the tap-tempo worked have been fixed in firmware 1.13 (pickup up when the tempo button was released, not when it was tapped. )

* the expression pedal input - you can't use a g-switch and the expression pedal at the same time. I ordered a scratch and dent G-Switch Musicians Friend, and plan on using an EB VpJr after the Nova, like I always have...

* The drive effects are actually ok - actually, really pretty good, HOWEVER - I've NEVER been able to have them sound nice with another drive in front of it, including the Mark V's preamps. Still, if you needed a grab and go pedal with a drive on it to front a clean amp (backline, practice, etc), this 'd work pretty good - so while I generally don't use the drive modules, I consider it a nice option to have, and one that works well in the right situation.

* One overlooked effect that is also incredible - use the pitch shifter with a 3 to 12 cent shift and it's a lot like a chorus... use this together with a tremolo and you've got a really cool rotary or ultra lush chorus sound. It rocks.

* There's no Wah, anywhere to be found on it. Other features that users generally ***** about on the boards is that there's no preamp-insert like the G-System has, for the ol' e4 cable method...

Hope this helps.

Dave

rispsira said:
4406cuda said:

Man i keep hearing great things about that chorus pedal!! how would it compare to a boss CE2 which everybody considers as a classic? (ihavent tried it)

Im considering one! Chorus as i was saaying above is perhaps the only modulation effect that works well in the loop as well as in front of the amp depending on taste.

In the loop though you can use a stereo chorus if you have a stereo setup like two heads or a stereo poweramp (or head!)
So do you think its fine to loose the stereo feature in favor of placing it in front of the amp?

I have just switched over to a mono set up from a stereo rig that contained a triaxis, 2:90, and G Force. I prefer the Mark V mono rig. It may not be as versatile as the triaxis, but it is perfect for my needs.

The Liquid Chorus from Visual Sound is the best Chorus Pedal I have ever played. I have been using chorus pedals since 1981 and have owned early boss pedals, tc electronics, mxr, voodoo lab, etc. The liquid chorus sounds thick and lush. It sounds great on clean as well as distorted sounds.

DaveDaveDave said:

Dave

how does the compressor work in the loop? i always thought compression comes first on geetar or else it loses the attack and pumps.

Uncle Muscles said:
DaveDaveDave said:

Dave

how does the compressor work in the loop? i always thought compression comes first on geetar or else it loses the attack and pumps.

That is true it won't the way it should if it's in the loop.

Latest posts

Back