Educate me on speaker cables (mesa triple rec)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brainstew

Reaction score
So I bought a Mesa Triple Rec and I'm doing my best to keep it fresh and clean. Now I'm looking at the cable going from the 8 ohm cab to 8 ohm slot, its just a small regular patch, is this acceptable? Is there any better cable I could buy?

brainstew said:
So I bought a Mesa Triple Rec and I'm doing my best to keep it fresh and clean. Now I'm looking at the cable going from the 8 ohm cab to 8 ohm slot, its just a small regular patch, is this acceptable? Is there any better cable I could buy?

Should be using a speaker cable. It's usually much fatter.

If it says "instrument cable" you probably should NOT be using it.

I know that the conducter can actually burn up, at which point I'd guess you'd be having 100 watts of unloaded tube amp, which (theoretically) could lead to problems.

Buy a speaker cable!

brainstew: Try out the Moster Cable speaker Cables. (The all black ones with a small white stripe on the end) I think Moster cables are good quality, look good, and they all have a lifetime warranty. Cant beat that.

- Patrick

I heard some people saying Monster is overpriced and not that good, anyone else vouch for them? I think I might try it.

Planet Waves make a pretty uber speaker cable that isn't too pricy.

Ciao ...

brainstew said:
I heard some people saying Monster is overpriced and not that good, anyone else vouch for them? I think I might try it.

Pricey, but worth every penny. Rugged, quiet, dependable and oh yeah, the lifetime warranty. There are some other very good cables out there too that are more affordable, I just love everything about the Monster products. Nothing pisses me off more than equipment failure on something I tried to save a buck on.

+1 on Monster cable, my whole rig is Monster Studio pro 1000 cables. Couldn't be better. If the cable fails, bring it to Guitar Center (if you bought it here, or even if you didnt!) and they will replace it no questions asked. Atleast thats what they did for me.

I was an idiot and stepped on the cable while it was plugged into the head and broke it at the input jack. They replaced it no questions asked right there. It was a 3 foot Studio Pro 1000 instrument cable, cost me 80 bucks, worth every penny.

Evidence Audio Siren. Believe me, a big difference worth the money. Had Monster, but **** if EA didn't give much, much more relaxed, uncolored, dynamic/complex sound. Overall, a big tonal upgrade...that even my wife noticed. No hype here, guys.

I think Evidence Audio are overpriced for the amount of difference you get from lets say a Monster Cable. I mean $85 for a 10' cable isn't worth it IMO.

It really depends on how much you value your guitar/amp's natural harmonic complexity, not to mention feel. Monster/PW's have no problem translating the fundamental and 2nd order harmonics of single-ended or 3rd order of push-pull configurations. But there is a lot more going on above it that is either lost or distorted into shrillness. The change in feel and loss in definition is especially noticeable when pushing into power-stage saturation. A Mesa Head of pretty much any make new or used usually goes for over $1K...I think $85 is worth it, IMO. What's that phrase about "only as strong as the weakest link"? That said, I wouldn't recommend a 10' speaker cable of any kind. Go for a 3' - 5' and you can get an EA of that length for about $55. Zaolla makes really nice speaker cables as does Van Den Hul (that you can construct), too, but that's getting into a price range where you get little additional return on investment. Toh-n!

Latest posts

Back