Edited: New Road King II 2x12 Combo Arrived - Sounds Great!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAZZGEAR

Reaction score
Well at least for right now, there's hardly any output, and the little that is there sounds like it's coming out of a cardboard, distorted....just plain awful

The problem is present in all channels, all tube configs, etc.

I suspected perhaps a preamp tube, so I replaced every one of them with a brand new set of mesa 12AX7s I had purchased about a month ago....still same crappy sound (or lack there of).

I tried each tube linkage possibilities and still same results. Check speaker connection, it was fine.

Then I checked the rectifier tubes and the left most one was cracked. So I replaced it with a new spare I had on hand. Still same crappy sound.

So at this point I have to assume that the other rectifier tube is also bad....

But I thought that this would only be a problem in the tube rec setting....the amp sounds just as crappy in the diode setting as well.

So, I am very P/O'd right now...coincidentally, when I picked mine up last night from GC, another customer was taking delivery of his RK II 2x12...he opened it up there and guess what??? it didn't even power-up.\

I suspected I may have a problem too as the boxes to both amps were pretty beat up.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :cry:

Edited: 12/20/2006 21:26 EST -- Great News!!! Problem was two folds:

1. Defective Rec Tubes
2. Mesa shipped the combo with the incorrect speaker connection scheme on the back. I didn't give this much thought until after replacing the Rec tubes the sound was still not quite there, better, but not what I expected. I pulled out the manual and went spec y spec, setting by setting until I noticed the discrepancy (the dummy plug and the combo speaker were both connected to the B plugs. Switchede the combo to A, where it says Combo speakers, duh! and Bingo).

Both Guitar Center and Mesa Boogie are sending me replacement 12AX7 tubes and Rec tubes. So I should a good supply of them for my short lived troubles.

Now the amp sounds great. I will have a review after the holidays and will post some pics....I am going on vacation and won't have much time with it right now.

I will give a snipet though, the LS cleans on the RK II are excellent, however, not 100% on Par with the real thing the LSC combo...I'd say about 90%. I have both amps and have been A/B'ing for the past 2 hours. The best way to describe is that the LSC is a tad smoother and more Fender cleans like. Since I also have the Triaxis, I'd say the cleans on the RK II to me sounds alot like the LSC with a hint or so of the Triaxis (awesome cleans as well).

In short, I'd say the cleans on the RK II is more versatile than on the LSC...and perhaps better due to the real-time tube combinations possible.

It just does not not sound exactly like the LSC. So far, this is not a negative, but I am pulling my For Sale post of the LSC until I can A/B some more. I am thinking I most likely will keep the LSC and the RK II; use the RK II for gigging and the LSC for my recording of cleans (when I want that sound).....but I may put the LSC into a head and sell just the cab with the speakers.

Thanks all for the feedback

francric said:
Have you contacted the dealer you bought it from or Mesa?

Yes, today...I am waiting on a call back from Mesa. But I figure I'd post the issue here too as I recall some other posters having similar problems when they received ther RK.

Thanks

JAZZGEAR said:
Well at least for right now, there's hardly any output, and the little that is there sounds like it's coming out of a cardboard, distorted....just plain awful

The problem is present in all channels, all tube configs, etc.

I suspected perhaps a preamp tube, so I replaced every one of them with a brand new set of mesa 12AX7s I had purchased about a month ago....still same crappy sound (or lack there of).

I tried each tube linkage possibilities and still same results. Check speaker connection, it was fine.

Then I checked the rectifier tubes and the left most one was cracked. So I replaced it with a new spare I had on hand. Still same crappy sound.

So at this point I have to assume that the other rectifier tube is also bad....

But I thought that this would only be a problem in the tube rec setting....the amp sounds just as crappy in the diode setting as well.

So, I am very P/O'd right now...coincidentally, when I picked mine up last night from GC, another customer was taking delivery of his RK II 2x12...he opened it up there and guess what??? it didn't even power-up.\

I suspected I may have a problem too as the boxes to both amps were pretty beat up.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :cry:

I hate to hear that as im sure you were excited to get the amp . At the end of the day you are the customer and all involved (GC & Mesa/Boogie) should make sure you as the customer is satisfied . GC is the one that should take care of it but there is no harm contacting Mesa directly. It will probably speed things along . Sounds like the courier might have not treated the delivery very well either . Always open it up at the store and especially if the box looks suspect . Im sure it will all work out in the end .

Jazzgear, sorry to hear the predicament you're in. I can imagine the let down! I hope Mesa and GC take care of this problem ASAP. I guess you'll have to play some "blues" on the blue lonestar 8)

Jazzgear, you're also a MesaGear"head" :D Good to hear the problem's solved!

enigma said:
Jazzgear, you're also a MesaGear"head" :D Good to hear the problem's solved!

Funny you you say that cause that was my Avatar and eBay name a while back... :lol:

Back