ED volume a problem for anyone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostcause

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has had to move on from the ED because of volume issues?
Anytime I play through one it seems the sounds I like most are at volumes not home or quieter gig friendly.
Just curious to see how others are finding it.

Cheers.

Volume has been somewhat of an issue for me in the past, however, with careful nudging of the master volume, I've been able to get a good home sound at around 80-85dB - this seems to be the minimum volume that my ED will sound good at; under that, it tends to be a bit shrill and lacking depth. I've not had a problem with quieter gigs, though I'd think that 80-85dB would be a bare minimum for any kind of performance situation.

I find the opposite to be true for me, at lower volumes it is more well balanced and the more I crank it the more harsh it becomes to my ears. But understand when I say "lower volumes" it's still pretty loud. But I do agree it's a tough "at home" amp to have.

DWAKO, you have a halfstack though, right? I find that halfstacks are NOT practice amps at all. IMHO, the Electra Dyne 1 x 12 combo was far more suitable for home use, even if it was still rather loud.

I think your problem is that you don't like how the head sounds with power tube distortion. You are a guy who likes preamp type gain tones better a la Mark V or Dual Rectifier. Having owned a Triple, I suppose you are used to a very VERY clean power section. I think the Electra Dyne is designed FOR people who like a clipped power section AND for people who like to run preamp gain for more modern tones. That is what the 45 / 90 watt switch is for. That being said, HOW LOUD do you RUN IT!!??? When I was at L&MQ, running the master at 9:30 with the volume at 2:00 (Gain Trim set to Clean) it was DEFINITELY loud enough for gigging.

Wait, were you the guy with the 2 x 12 combo with G12T 75s? Those speakers put out 97db / watt / metre which DRASTICALLY cut into headroom. You'd hit power tube distortion at the same DB level running 90watts as someone running a cab with v30s and the amp set to 45watts. Also G12T 75s have a looser cone so they sound more open at low volumes but when you crank them, they get pretty dirty.

MBJunkie said:
YellowJacket.....do you actually own an ED? Just curious.

No, I just go to the music store and play them A LOT! I really want one but finances don't permit it. I have a family and I am studying music full time at the doctoral level. I'm also attached to to my Dual Rectifier so I don't know if I want to part with it to get an ED. I've almost done so several times.

Greenbacks.....4 of 'em :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
All the goodness you want.

No problem YellowJacket, and I understand completely! :D
My measure of a great amp comes down to how it works for me in a live situation. The ED didn't work for me, but clearly it seems to fit the bill for you and many others.
That is great as far as I am concerned! :D

MBJunkie said:
No problem YellowJacket, and I understand completely! :D
My measure of a great amp comes down to how it works for me in a live situation. The ED didn't work for me, but clearly it seems to fit the bill for you and many others.
That is great as far as I am concerned! :D

Well, it is pretty much in the ballpark aside for the volume issue. I'm just concerned that if I ditch my Dual Rectifier I'll miss it and want it back. I mean with the 2 channel Dual it is versatile in one way. It does many high gain tones very well. The Electra Dyne is versatile in a different way. It does many mid to low gain tones well. Like I mentioned already, a calibrated set of pickups is a necessity. From there, the pole pieces can be adjusted to give maximum tonal flexibility with the shared EQ. That being said, I'm just worried the shared EQ would get on my nerves after awhile, as it does with some people. In my opinion, it just annoys the piss out of me to see something so potentially limiting on an otherwise near perfect amp for what I need. The only other option is to either run two EDs with an A/B box or run the ED with another amp. My initial plan was to run the ED next to my Dual Rectifier and load my Dual with 4 Yellow Jackets for a great clean tone. Then I could get the clean and crunch I wanted without compromise . . .

YellowJacket...

Based on your last response....my recommendation would be for you to NOT part with your dual rectifier. It seems that you are fond of the dual rect as many, many, many other people are for high gain crunch and lead sounds. The ED will never deliver that type of high gain sound no matter what you put in front of it IMO.

My .02

DWAKO, you have a halfstack though, right? I find that halfstacks are NOT practice amps at all. IMHO, the Electra Dyne 1 x 12 combo was far more suitable for home use, even if it was still rather loud.

I think your problem is that you don't like how the head sounds with power tube distortion. You are a guy who likes preamp type gain tones better a la Mark V or Dual Rectifier. Having owned a Triple, I suppose you are used to a very VERY clean power section. I think the Electra Dyne is designed FOR people who like a clipped power section AND for people who like to run preamp gain for more modern tones. That is what the 45 / 90 watt switch is for. That being said, HOW LOUD do you RUN IT!!??? When I was at L&MQ, running the master at 9:30 with the volume at 2:00 (Gain Trim set to Clean) it was DEFINITELY loud enough for gigging.

Wait, were you the guy with the 2 x 12 combo with G12T 75s? Those speakers put out 97db / watt / metre which DRASTICALLY cut into headroom. You'd hit power tube distortion at the same DB level running 90watts as someone running a cab with v30s and the amp set to 45watts. Also G12T 75s have a looser cone so they sound more open at low volumes but when you crank them, they get pretty dirty.

Yes, both are me. I own an oversized 4x12 rectifier cab and a Road King 2x12 cab. I usually run it at about 9:00, but even with the V30s (probably even more so) I find it harsh at higher volumes that 9ish, and you are correct that I am learning that I like very clean head room and efficient speakers. And you're probably right about me being spoiled by the Triple Rec. But I would recommend you keep your dual or you'll end up like me, I miss the high gain, and the limitations of the ED (which at one point did not bug me) are starting to effect my view of the amp. Even in the 90watt mode the power tubes kick in sooner than I would like and it's great for vintage tones, but as we both know I'm beginning to learn what functions of an amplifier... Admitted I should have figured this out sooner and probably would have saved myself some money, but you live and learn I guess.

Back to the speaker situation I may try out some Celestion G12K-100s, thinking logically the more headroom the better.

MBJunkie, it is very possible if I get rid of the Dual I'll try to make other amps sound like it. It is the classic case of guys trying to make their amp do the tones it won't do.

DWAKO said:
Yes, both are me. I own an oversized 4x12 rectifier cab and a Road King 2x12 cab. I usually run it at about 9:00, but even with the V30s (probably even more so) I find it harsh at higher volumes that 9ish, and you are correct that I am learning that I like very clean head room and efficient speakers. And you're probably right about me being spoiled by the Triple Rec. But I would recommend you keep your dual or you'll end up like me, I miss the high gain, and the limitations of the ED (which at one point did not bug me) are starting to effect my view of the amp. Even in the 90watt mode the power tubes kick in sooner than I would like and it's great for vintage tones, but as we both know I'm beginning to learn what functions of an amplifier... Admitted I should have figured this out sooner and probably would have saved myself some money, but you live and learn I guess.

Back to the speaker situation I may try out some Celestion G12K-100s, thinking logically the more headroom the better.

The oversized Rectocab sounds muddy to me! Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds to me like you miss your Triple and the tone that thing puts out is better for what you need. You mentioned in that thread in the Mark V forum about how you want a Dual, but with clarity and no fizz. I have some observations and advice on that . . .

Are you planning on trying to save your current rig with G12k - 100s? Perhaps you should just go demo some gear instead, just so you don't spend $300 on speakers for a bandaid solution that won't work. I've done that far too many times!!

I agree with the OP. The ED is either off or loud with with little in between.

I really like this amp but am considering selling it because of the inability to adjust the volume at low levels. As someone said you have to nudge it very carefully. Mine sounds really dark when its played at low volume. Especially with the reverb off. I need to play around with a different cab or a Hotplate before selling.

LesMesa said:
I agree with the OP. The ED is either off or loud with with little in between.

I really like this amp but am considering selling it because of the inability to adjust the volume at low levels. As someone said you have to nudge it very carefully. Mine sounds really dark when its played at low volume. Especially with the reverb off. I need to play around with a different cab or a Hotplate before selling.

I use a hotplate with it and it helps to an extent. The problem is that dark sound you hear is the fact that the speaker is not pushing enough air. So even though the hotplate makes it easier to hit a decent volume, it will still sound dark.

The ED clearly sounds best at drummer level IMO.

DWAKO said:
I find the opposite to be true for me, at lower volumes it is more well balanced and the more I crank it the more harsh it becomes to my ears. But understand when I say "lower volumes" it's still pretty loud. But I do agree it's a tough "at home" amp to have.
I have to agree with you. I get some nice tones at some not loud volumes.

I can always get good tones at low volume too.

Anyone who is bothered by the touchy nature of the master pot should try a volume pedal in the loop. that can really help smooth things out.

danyeo1 said:
When the volume is low it can be dark, then when i step on a BB Preamp or a Maxon OD820.

That is what I have found as well (1x12 combo).

I still think it sounds very good at low volumes. But I find the blue channel especially to be dark. When it starts to get about half way to drummer level, look the hell out. Think becomes a monster. Just the perfect amount of crunch.

I have a cheap 20$ GC mxr classic overdrive that does the trick perfectly at low volume.

Latest posts

Back