Early Metallica: What Amp(s)?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfguitar!

Reaction score
I've been listening to Kill 'em All and Ride the Lightning lately, and was wondering what amps they employed in those days (assuming they were Boogie's). It seems that I saw in a Mesa Catalog that they used a Mark IIC+?

Kill 'em All: Jose Arrendondo modified 100 watt plexi-style Marshall with Proco Rat or Tube Screamer.

Ride the Lightning: Same as above plus JCM800. I was able to get both with my 1988 JCM800 2210. The post '87 models of 2205/2210 will both get you there. Those amps catch some flak but they kick some serious butt. Doyle, the guy who wrote the History of Marshall, actually wrote that the 2210 was one of his favorite amps. My 2210 was easily one of the loudest Marshall amps I have ever played.

Master of Puppets: In come the Mesa's... Mark IIC+ becomes James' go to amp. The Marshalls became the amps to use to re-amp and keep warmth in their tone.

Hey thanks! I'm sure the question is exhausted by now.. Fantastic web site! I was thinking that the earliest Mesa would have entered the picture would have been Ride the Lightning ('86 if I recall), and that Kill 'em All would have predated the use of these amps ('82?). I saw Metallica in '87 so perhaps they were using the IIc+ at that time. I'll never forget that one, they opened for Ozzy with massive energy. If you hadn't heard of them before then, well, you became a fan. They stole the show..

The story goes that Kirk Hammett was at Jackson guitars sometime in 85 trying out the Randy Rhoads model they had custom built for him (the black one his still using). Jackson had a Mark IIC+ available, so Kirk played through it and loved the tone (of course) and later bought a IIC+. Which James later "borrowed" for the rhythm tracks on MOP. The same amp was used on all albums from MOP to Load, might have been used on Reload aswell.

The IIC+ model was their main amp on both the MOP and Justice tours slaved through JCM 800 Marshalls. On the Black album tour James continued with the IIC+ as his main crunch amp, but Kirk started using a Mark IV for leads and various preamps for his crunch and clean sounds.

Later on they started using rectos and Triaxis preamps for their main crunch sounds.

Elpelotero, I noticed you have an '84 Mark IIC+, very nice. What is the general price range of these amplifiers? A head that is.

Surfguitar! said:
Elpelotero, I noticed you have an '84 Mark IIC+, very nice. What is the general price range of these amplifiers? A head that is.

head or combo...it doesn't make much of a difference. I got mine at a steal for 1,500 back in December. The going market price for a mint piece is about 3,000. However, you just got to know what features you're looking for (many different features on this amp that make the price fluctuate) and where to look for it! Then find a seller who isn't 100% aware of what he's actually selling...

I've been listening to Kill 'em All and Ride the Lightning lately, and was wondering what amps they employed in those days (assuming they were Boogie's). It seems that I saw in a Mesa Catalog that they used a Mark IIC+?

As Russ mentioned they used a Jose Modified Marshall for Killen' All up through and including the Ride The Lightening tour. This was confirmed in one of several conversations with Paul Curcio (producer for Kill'em All) In addition one of our endorsees owns a Jose Modded Marshall that was purchased from James while he was on the Ride The Lightening tour.

Hope it helps
Trace

That modded Marshall amp of James Hetfields, was stolen from him back in late 1983-early 1984, in Boston, Massachusetts. It wasn't bought from him.

Anytime you mention the word Marshall to James, anytime, he'll bring that story up. Even in the band commentary for the film SKOM.

That modded Marshall amp of James Hetfields, was stolen from him back in late 1983-early 1984, in Boston, Massachusetts. It wasn't bought from him.

The particular amp that one of our endorsee's owns is not the same amp that was stolen. If it was, we would naturally do the right thing and notify James.

Trace

4nkam said:
Yeah they had a few of the Jose Marshalls as well as the Fischer modded Marshalls at that time :)

I believe that thay could have used Fischer modded Marshalls. After all, they came to NJ to Megaforce and everybody knew Kenny could fix/ mod Marshalls...

I have a MK II C+ COLISEUM (happy to say...) and, I must say...it delivers the goods...sooo many different tones available in full power-can easily dial in a Metallica tone(w/ Thieles,of course...)I really think the Thieles have a LOT to do with it...just a perrrfect combination with the coliseum voooodooooo :twisted:

yes, I believe they did-I was just saying this gets me there-with the coliseum, the sheer power requires the proper speakers -a thiele loaded ev and a thiele loaded c90 gets me that thud-I never really got close enough to that tone in the past,but the pairing of boogs and Thieles helped me nail it in the studio..(ahem....bedroom....)

Latest posts

Back