ear protection and tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IamDanWormek

Reaction score
I usually jam on my Rectoverb in the unfinished part of my basement (concrete surfaces everywhere) and occasionally in small clubs and such. I've recently begun using a decent set of earplugs while in my basement, but rarely when playing out. Since beginning this, I've noticed that the tone of my Rectoverb (through a Mesa 2X12) sounds a lot more . . . desirable . . . while I have the earplugs in: the tone sounds well saturated and the distortion sounds smooth; as soon as they're out, I find the tone trebly and weak and the distortion grainy.

Does anyone else experience this, and is it due to the overwhelming presence of acoustically murdering surfaces such as concrete?

I think it has to do with the dissipation of the sound waves by your ear plugs. The shorter waved higher pitched fast moving stuff isn't as powerful though shrieking and often bounce off things easier. The longer waved lower pitched slower moving sound waves are more powerful and somehow permeate through your ear plugs and everything else easier. Next time you go out, observe the sound as you get closer to the speakers in a club. You will hear the bass more clearly before you will the treble. Most notably when you are approaching the club and until you get up to the speakers themselves. You might not even hear the bass right up against the subs rather you'd feel it. This has to do with the way sound travels and the length of soundwaves. Some lower frequencies may take several yards before they are audible. The ear plugs you are using could be acting like the insulation used in some speakers that slow down the sound waves. Figuratively, the deeper bass will actually use this to its advantage to be heard, though it is really a mechanical action on behalf of the user. This is something you learn building speaker cabinets. As far as the concrete's effect on your sound goes, it will tend to reflect the higher frequencies a lot easier than the low frequencies and thus make for a brighter arena acoutically. There isn't anything there to deaden the sound. EVH used to record in the bathroom.

great explanation Russ...

Another way to think of it is when people put subwoofers in their cars. When they drive by, all you hear is the massive bass pounding the car. You don't hear an ounce of treble though...you never hear the vocals, even though I'm sure the radio is cranked very loud inside the car.

Ok, so sound of different frequencies doesn't really travel at different speeds. (Unless you get into dispersion - let's not)

If you remember back to physics class:

Velocity = frequency X wavelength

The velocity of sound in air will be constant, around 330 metres per second.

So that leaves the frequency and the wavelength variable. We know that higher pitched sounds have a higher frequency. So if the velocity stays the same the wavelength will reduce as the frequency increases.

Still with me?

Higher frequencies have shorter wavelengths. So sound is travelling happily through air, then it comes to a new medium (a foam ear plug) The base frequencies with long wavelengths this is easy, the ear plug is not even a full wavelength thick. However to get through the ear plug the higher frequencies might need a few wavelengths. The higher frequencies will have more occilations (wavelengths) in the attenuating material and thus be attenuated more. That's why your earplugs will cut top frequencies more than lower frequencies. It's also why higher frequencies travel less distance than lower frequencies, they are more easily attenuated.

OK That's stuff I'm good with, here comes the shaky part: do know that your ears will react differently to different frequencies at different sound levels - I think the mids are scooped out as you get louder.....yeah not sure.

I do know this, for me, there is a point where stuff gets too loud and starts to sound harsh no matter what the source. Just turn your radio up to kill and you'll know what I mean. It sounds good at lower volumes but too loud and it get's harsh (that trebly, grainy sound you were talking about). Yes the speakers might be starting to flake out on you but it's more than that. There is is good optimum listening level for me.

Invest in a pair of molded pro ear plugs. It's one of the best things I've ever done. Concerts sound better and I can still hear my mates after the gig!

Hope that helped

Latest posts

Back