Ear Plugs?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guvna2030

Reaction score
Any advice on ear plugs that retain clarity and allow you to discern your tone without losing integrity? I have tried a few and none seem to work.

Cheez said:

Yeah, I like the Hearos pictured in that thread. The good thing about that style of ear plug, is that you can increase or decrease the db's getting through just by how far you put them in your ears. I put them in just far enough that it take the edge off of the cymbols and high end, without affecting the overall tone of my amp or band.

I don't use earplugs live (even though I should) because I want to get an accurate representation of what is going on sound wise. I use them ALL of the time at practice though.

I don't know if I have small ear cannals or what, but I bought some of those earplugs and I wore them for a few songs and they hurt my ears so bad that I had to take them out and get the squishy Hearos instead. The squishy ones almost deaden things too much, but once I've got my tone dialed in and my volume is set I pop the earplugs in and leave it in the hands of my soundman (which I'm getting ready to not have one :( with my new band... at first). Hopefully this band will play a little quieter?? The only bad thing about earplugs is you can't effectivly sing with them in.... They make your head voice louder and almost blocks out everything else and you loose pitch & time and don't really know where you are volume wise either??

Looks like I need to get some In Ear Monitors doesn't it?

I strongly suggest you look into custom fit musicians earplugs. You can get them for about $150, and they are the best investment I have made. They don't sound exactly the same as no earplugs, but they are darn close, and will save your hearing.

Before anyone says that $150 is too much, think about how much money you invest into tubes, strings, etc to get the tone that you want. Now think about how much it will suck to have your ears ring for the rest of your life. Those earplugs shouldn't seem so expensive now.

You can get them with 9, 15, and 25 dB filters (I suggest going with the 15dB), and since they are custom fit, they don't hurt your ears to wear them. I have small ear canals, and the one size fits all musicians earplugs always hurt to wear. Now I don't have to worry about it. I wear them at every show I go to, and my ears don't ring afterwards anymore.

You should be able to get them at an audiologist, and if you can't find one in your area, go to someplace where they do hearing aids - they should be able to get the molds done for you.

Protecting your hearing is one of the smartest things you can do as a musician, and in the long run, custom earplugs are not a lot of money.

Tele_Jas... theres a special way to put the deep insert ear plugs in. Basically pull your ear up from the top and it opens your ear canal, then put the plug in and let go... it took me a while to get mine in the right way.

I've had a pair of custom fit musicians earplugs made, but I don't have them yet! Because my canalas are so **** narraw, they ended up fitting wrong and they had to be sent back to be remade. Like markblasco said, it seems like a pretty logical investment to make. If you can invest $2000+ in a guitar amp, $2000+ in a guitar, $1000+ in effects units and almost $80+ on cables alone, it seems like a $150 investment so you'll be able to hear all that for the rest of your life makes sense.

Usually no but I always have them with me.

I've got hearos and if I need them, second set works best.

However, I used to play where on stage to my left were the cymbals and to my right was the organist's rotary horn. Back then, all the time.

I had to get mine redone several times because I too have narrow ear canals. I ended up getting them in a full shell, which means that they are about the size of in-ear monitors rather than the normal small size.

One suggestion to anyone getting them - have the audiologist look and see if you have narrow ear canals. If you do, make sure you take an open mouth impression, and I would suggest that you try to smile a little when you do it. I had to have my earplugs done several times because when I opened my mouth to sing they would lose the seal. I also got in ear monitors, but I got those first, and I didn't figure this out until later, so they sometimes lose the seal (which defeats the whole purpose).

Ask anyone who has musicians earplugs, and I would guess that 99 out of 100 people will tell you they are completely happy with them. The other 1 probably wouldn't be happy with anything ever.

Back