E.Q. Frequency band help?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurch

Reaction score
Does anyone know what specific frequency the 'squeak' of the pick is at?

When I set my amp up for a nice full sound, the little 'squeak' sound the pick makes against the string gets more pronounced and annoying. I'd like to cut that narrow frequency band out while still retaining the frequency spectrum around it to keep the sound full. (ie. the amp's regular E.Q. is too broad and in order to get the squeak out it cuts too much of the sound out making it thin).

Also, is it better to put the E.Q. post distortion in the loop, or before the amp's input?

Thanks for any help!

in the loop (i.e. after the preamp) sounds best because you shape the distortion. otherwise, you're just shaping the sound of your guitar before it hits anything.

parsky1 said:
Depends on the sound you are going after.

+1 EQ in the loop can have a drastic effect on your sound, changing the entire character of the amp if that's what your looking to do. EQ into the front end has more effect on the amp's feel/response as you are altering the sound of the guitar itself (also useful for boosting)

Pick noise is in the 4K to 8K range so some gentle cuts there (EQ into front end) can achieve what you want. Dont cut too much or you will also lose your clarity and crispness in these freq's.

Latest posts

Back