Dyne guitars poll

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffp

Reaction score
it sure is quiet out there! Let`s talk shop humbuckers with the Dyne!.........SG vs LP....50`s neck vs 60`s neck.....what are you guys using? How many like SG reissue`s or what do you like with it?

I'm using:

Ibanez Jem with stock evo pickups. Very gritty. Coil-tap in 2/4 positions, bright, but not very sparkly. Good for hard rock, not good all-around. Body is Alder. Maple neck with rosewood.

Ibanez J Custom RG7 7-string with stock neck and aftermarket evolution bridge pickups. Mahogany body with maple veneer top, maple neck with rosewood. More balanced tone, but still pretty focused. Two pickip model wired with 5-way switching that gives virtual 2/4 strat tones. These sound more sparkly than the Jem, but not that great. Useable.

Ibanez parts guitar 7-string. Mostly RG7620 body and parts. Universe neck. Blaze pickups. These are more like PAF, and sound it. More sweet tone, better 2/4 position tone. Overall great tone, pushes the amp just perfectly. I use LO and the guitar volume knob for 90% of my playing from clean to crunch. I use the clean mode for stuff that has to be perfectly clean, or when I want extra punch, and HI for solos when I get too lazy to make my own sustain, or when I want great pinch harmonics and feedback.

I also tried it with a Telecaster that had Lollar pickups and Stellartone tone control. That thing was OFF THE HOOK. Sounded beautiful. I will probably put a similar guitar together.

I also use a Maxon OD808, which sounds great on all modes. Drive 9:00, Tone 11:30, Balance max. I also love using a MXR EVH Phaser in front.

I've mostly used it with my SG, which is a 61 RI. When I bought it it had Duncan Alnico II Pro in it, but I converted it back to the stock '57 Classics, which I feel sound way better. The Alnico II Pro had a really spongy feel to it. Probably good for lead guitar, but for rhythm it lacked articulation. The '57s Classics are firmer and more balanced in terms of frequency. They still have a bit of give on the bottom end, but with a stiffer sounding amp (like an ED) it mates well.

I also ran my G&L Legacy through it, which is all single coils. It was crazy good sounding. The ED's big bottom end - which can sometimes cause problems with humbuckers - made the single coils sound very full.

hows the neck on the SG...that`s the 60`s slimmer neck right? I have interest in the standard and the reissue but i don`t know about the necks. I think the standard may be big & wide for me too. It`s really a nice looking guitar! anybody tried the two?

The 61 RI has a fairly thin neck. I have a 60s Les Paul and it's a little thinner than that even.

The thing I liked about the 61 RI is that it sounds more solid. The regular SG with the batwing pickguard has that hollow sound that a Strat produces due to the hollowed area behind the pickguard. They're still an awesome sounding guitar (as are Strats), but my preference was the more solid sound.

I have two guitars I am currently running with the Electra Dyne.

My #1 Favourite is my Gibson Les Paul Standard Premium Plus. It is a typical standard with a mahogany neck and body, rosewood fingerboard, and maple top. I have Bare Knuckle Rebel Yell pickups with 500K audio taper CTS pots and two 0.22 uf paper in oil caps. I have it hooked up using 50s style wiring.

The distorted rhythm crunch tones on lo / hi are like no other and the cleans are buttery rich goodness.

My 'backup' guitar is a Godin LG. It currently has stock electronics but I put in a Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro in the Neck and a Custom Custom in the bridge. This guitar may lack the really pronounced character of a Gibson but it has a chameleon sort of a tone that is really flexible and versatile. I discovered that with the right amp settings the guitar can hit all sorts of classic rock, hard rock, and country tones just by selecting the right pickups and manipulating how I play the guitar.

I'll be rewiring the guitar with a Paper in Oil Cap, and CTS pots, one of which is a push pull pot. I'll have it wired to split the coils so I'll have access to even more tones from one instrument.

Overall, the Godin is a great option for an affordable, well built, and versatile gigging instrument. For studio tones, I'll grab the Gibson.

Laskyman said:
I think the ED is nearly untouchable with single coils.....especially in low gain...

I believe you. Looking forward to tapping my coils!!

I also happen to love the molten crunch from humbuckers as well!!

Latest posts

Back