Dumb cab question :-)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daxman73

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just got a 2x12 Roadster combo and a 4x12 Standard cab...When running just the combo, which impedance should it be plugged into?...And when running the 4x12 cab AND the combo, which should the impedance be set at?...And thirdly, if I wanted to use JUST the 4x12 cab, which one should I use?...I know, I know, I'm sorry if I didn't post this in the right thread...Thanx in advance.

Thanx man...The stuff they have in the manual doesn't exactly tell you what's in the 2x12 combo...I'm pretty sure it's two 8 ohm speakers though...The 4x12 I can set to 8 or 16 ohm, no problems there, just need to know which impedance in the back of the amp to run it into...I have Monster 3ft speaker cables, so there's no problem there either...Thanx dude.

Daxman73 said:
Thanx man...The stuff they have in the manual doesn't exactly tell you what's in the 2x12 combo...I'm pretty sure it's two 8 ohm speakers though...The 4x12 I can set to 8 or 16 ohm, no problems there, just need to know which impedance in the back of the amp to run it into...I have Monster 3ft speaker cables, so there's no problem there either...Thanx dude.

I don't think Mesa has ever put two 8 ohm speakers in a 2x12 combo. They typically put 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel for a total impedence of 8 ohms. Even their 2x12 cabs are set up that way.

Chris

Now I may be going WAY out on a limb here but aren't most Mesa's running 8ohms as a default?

Looking at the roadster on Mesa site: Speakers outs are:
1x16, 1x8, 2x4 ohm outlets.

My Ace is a 1x12 combo, so when stand alone - 8ohm plug.

Add the 2x12 recto cab (8ohms) both the combo and the cab now plug into the two 4ohm plugs (4+4 = 8ohms)

That's for my Amp, to be sure it would be good to know what you've got in there. rabies is right, check the speakers. The roadster looks like a closed back like the ace, they put a gooey gasket between the back cover and the cab, if you don't need to, leave it alone so that stays nice and tight.

Perhaps another roadster owner here can tell you more.

- dstefani

Thanx a lot guys for the info...I think you're right with your logic dstefani, and that's how I run them right now...When running just the combo I use the 8ohm plug and when I use the 4x12 along with the combo I use both 4ohm plugs...I think rabies is right as well...Any Roadster owners want to chime in?

Latest posts

Back