Dual Recto at 50 watts?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adambomb

Reaction score
I was going to run my DR at 50 watts and I have heard a lot about pulling the 2 inner or the two outer tubes, and then 1 rectifier tube.

What is the best way to run my DR at 50 watts?
Which rectifier tube do I pull?
Is it safe to run the amp like this for a long time?

i use two power tubes and two rectifier tubes.
well i did only once.
nothing went wrong.

what could go wrong?

Nothing. You can leave both rectifier tubes in - the amp will be a little saggier/squishier than if you remove one.

:)

Actually I find that leaving both rectifier tubes in creates a little more tightness in the tone. I like leaving both rectifiers in while removing the center pair of power tubes. I also have the the voltage switch set to 'spongy'. Pushing the amp gives it a firmer feel but not quite as stiff as using the diodes.

If you decide to pull one of the rectifiers, you can pull either one. It doesn't matter which one you take out.

MikeK said:
Actually I find that leaving both rectifier tubes in creates a little more tightness in the tone. I like leaving both rectifiers in while removing the center pair of power tubes. I also have the the voltage switch set to 'spongy'. Pushing the amp gives it a firmer feel but not quite as stiff as using the diodes.

If you decide to pull one of the rectifiers, you can pull either one. It doesn't matter which one you take out.

yes, center pair pulled
and both rectifiers in

"spongy" doesnt sound very metal
but ill try it out again.
i havent since getting the 808..

i wish i liked the tube rectifiers for some reason
but i still prefer silicon diodes.

Adambomb said:
I was going to run my DR at 50 watts and I have heard a lot about pulling the 2 inner or the two outer tubes, and then 1 rectifier tube.

It really does not buy you too much man, seriously. Leave it at 100 watts and just play with the volumes until you get the feel from the amp you want.....

Fixxer6671 said:
Adambomb said:

It really does not buy you too much man, seriously. Leave it at 100 watts and just play with the volumes until you get the feel from the amp you want.....

sorry to disagree, but it makes a giant difference to run it @ 50 watt. I break up alot sooner now. I swear by it. So does my band, they all love my DR even more now that im running at 50 watts.

I tried it and liked it alot better. Definetly breaks up earlier than at 100 watts, plus save money on new tubes

Mine sounds WAY more tight now...more alive. And Mesa said to always plug and 8ohm cab into the 4 ohm jack on the amp.

now what if you are running 2 cabs (both 8 ohms)
when running at 100 watts i have both my cabs plugged into one 4 ohm out each. what would you plug into running at 50 watts?

Sustain said:
Fixxer6671 said:
Adambomb said:

sorry to disagree, but it makes a giant difference to run it @ 50 watt. I break up alot sooner now. I swear by it. So does my band, they all love my DR even more now that I am running at 50 watts.

Cool, glad it works for you.

I pulled the tubes on my TOV and it really didn't sound that great. The best 50 watt MESA I had was the ROV, and recto (any) with the tubes pulled does not sound like that.

Keep Rockin guys :twisted:

colemaneuclid said:
now what if you are running 2 cabs (both 8 ohms)
when running at 100 watts i have both my cabs plugged into one 4 ohm out each. what would you plug into running at 50 watts?

Running 2 8ohm cabs would be the same at 50 watts. Plug both the cabs into the 4 ohm jacks on the amp if you run the DR at 50 watts.

are you sure it is safe for the amp at 50w to use the 2 4ohms jacks when running 2 cabs ???

Back