Dual Rectifier with KT66 groove tubes...possible?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airguitarlegend

Reaction score
Could this be possible? I got a hold of some kt66 tubes and I want to know if it is possible to put these in a dual rectifier, or if it would mess up the amp. I heard they're just for fender types...true? My Mesa currently has two 5u4g's and four El4s... any info would be great. Thank you all.

If you have an adjustable bias yeah you can put in any tube you want.

If not, you could risk damaging your amp, although popping them in and seeing what they will run at for a few seconds probably wont harm anything. Those tubes could have a plate current rating of just about anything, so ya never know.

If you want KT66's, Eurotubes can get ya a Mesa-rated set.

Not at all true they're for Fenders (even if it made any difference) - the most famous guitar amp to use them is the Marshall JTM45/Bluesbreaker. KT66s are essentially a British 6L6.

What you need to know is whether the voltage ratings, the filament current draw, and the bias voltage requirement are within the values you can safely use in the Mesa. Since the KT66 has slightly greater ratings than the 6L6, and draws a little more filament current - but less than an EL34 - the only thing left is the bias voltage, and since Mesa amps are set very conservative, it's almost certain that a KT66 will bias safely, even if a little hotter than a 6L6 would. Set it to 6L6 though, not EL34.

fluff191 said:
If you have an adjustable bias yeah you can put in any tube you want.

If not, you could risk damaging your amp, although popping them in and seeing what they will run at for a few seconds probably wont harm anything. Those tubes could have a plate current rating of just about anything, so ya never know.

If you want KT66's, Eurotubes can get ya a Mesa-rated set.

Yep, eurotubes definitely have kt66 sets for rectifiers

I currently run my dual rectifier with JJ tubes and it sounds great. I have been using them for a year now with no problems.
The tubes I am running are:
2x 6l6
2x kt-66
2x gz-34
ecc83 preamp tubes. I bought them from eurotubes, and I think they sound great and I have had no problems. I find the kt66 seem to bring a little mid back into the amp while keeping the low end punch of the 6l6.

I would definitely check out Eurotubes! They are so helpful! I am so fortunate to live in Portland, OR and I am able to just drive there and drop my amp off with them to work on. :)

Nitrobattery said:
Necro bump

So the used Triple Recto I picked up a while back has Groove Tube 6L6S tubes in them (KT66) and sound absolutely killer, but I'm worried the bias might not be correct. Should I be worried? These are the tubes in question http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/groove-tubes-gold-series-gt-6l6-s-matched-power-tubes
Those are just JJ 6L6GC's
https://www.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=3&sub_category_id=22

The KT66 is a different construction, very noticeable in the shape of the glass
https://www.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=3&sub_category_id=124

All your concerns could be put to rest with a bias probe.......

Dom

Back