Dual Rectifier Versus Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mookie4000

Reaction score
I used to have a Dual Rectifier and am thinking about the Mark IV rackmount. Does anybody know how these compare? The Mark IV perhaps being easier to sculpt a tone? I could get some good tones from the Dual Rectifier but the EQ was confusing to say the least. Is the EQ a different type (passive/active)? Could you still get a monster sounding tone from a Mark IV as you could get from a Dual Rectifier? Is there more note definition with a Mark IV? How is the warmth/harmonics?

Based on recordings I hear of Rectifiers, I'd say the Marks are more thin and plain sounding than Rectifiers. This isn't a bad thing, but not for everyone. Rectifiers seem more crunchy and colorful.

rabies said:
I haven't tried that combo yet, must sound more Voxy/Marshally... do you lose some watts/headroom?

You nailed it, Voxy/Marshally. Yea, I lose some wattage but the 84's saturate easier and are very smooth. Don't know how it will compete with a drummer though. Real nice British vibe, not traditional Mesa maybe somewhere closer to the Ace. I've used 6L6's since I got it in 91 and with the 34/84 combination, I'm having to re-learn to EQ & dial in the sweet spots for these diff tubes. It's OK, cause it's like a new amp with all the same controls in the same places, no learning curve. The YJ's came with JJ's, they were very thin sounding, into my tube collection box they went. I ordered the Russian Mullard's from Doug's (he's out of stock at the moment) and it was unbelievable. The 6L6/84 mix is just as wild. It doesn't sound exactly like a MKIV but it sounds amazing with a completely diff tonal pallete. I'm having a lot of fun with this setup, I'm gonna get me 2 more YJ's w/Mullards. You're using KT77's, I bet that would be a wild *** mix with the YJ's. Rabies, put it on your list, you know you want em. :wink:

rabies said:
Kiss My Axe said:
Based on recordings I hear of Rectifiers, I'd say the Marks are more thin and plain sounding than Rectifiers. This isn't a bad thing, but not for everyone. Rectifiers seem more crunchy and colorful.

thinner is true but you can thicken it up with chorus, etc.

harder to thin up a recto...

Thinner or more articulate?

In response to the origional question, I beleive you can definatley dial in the thick tone you are seeking with the MK IV. I have owned a Rectifier and I'm on my second MK IV and I can say especially the newer IV can deliver plenty of thick gain. I personally think it's harder to sound origional using a Dual Rec. It kind of has one sound, a very good one but it's one dimensional. After buying a IV again I'm realizing there are so many options for different tones. You can be a little overwhelmed at first but try this for starters. Set the IV you try out for class A, Triode, harmonics and put the eq in the classic V shape. Although this is only the 30 watt setting it is very loud and I play large clubs and outdoor venues like this. Then try the different wattages. I think you would take the IV over the recto after hearing this. And this is in no way a slam on the Recto it's a great amp. I just prefer the classic boogie sound. Pettrucci is uing the IV over the recto now!

mule#1 said:
In response to the origional question, I beleive you can definatley dial in the thick tone you are seeking with the MK IV. I have owned a Rectifier and I'm on my second MK IV and I can say especially the newer IV can deliver plenty of thick gain. I personally think it's harder to sound origional using a Dual Rec. It kind of has one sound, a very good one but it's one dimensional. After buying a IV again I'm realizing there are so many options for different tones. You can be a little overwhelmed at first but try this for starters. Set the IV you try out for class A, Triode, harmonics and put the eq in the classic V shape. Although this is only the 30 watt setting it is very loud and I play large clubs and outdoor venues like this. Then try the different wattages. I think you would take the IV over the recto after hearing this. And this is in no way a slam on the Recto it's a great amp. I just prefer the classic boogie sound. Pettrucci is uing the IV over the recto now!

I personally find the classic V off-putting and never use it on my IV. It sounds too bright and sizzly aswell as hollow to me.

Random Hero said:
mule#1 said:

I personally find the classic V off-putting and never use it on my IV. It sounds too bright and sizzly aswell as hollow to me.

+1. Upside down V for me.

I have a mark IV and a tremoverb combo right now. The only thing I don't like about the mark is that you don't have independent reverb controls. I don't like reverb at all on lead channels.

Random Hero said:
rabies said:
Kiss My Axe said:

thinner is true but you can thicken it up with chorus, etc.

harder to thin up a recto...

Thinner or more articulate?

I have a MkIV. I haven't played a DR, but i've heard plenty in person. I dunno if thinner is the right word, but I'd say the MkIV is definitely "tighter". The RK can get a lot of swirl going on after you hit a chord which is something I've never heard a MkIV do.

Latest posts

Back