Dual rectifier tremoverb and single rectifier

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webstersp

Reaction score
Should I pay 300$ more to get the tremoverb?
At first I was going to buy the single rectifier. They are selling it 1000$ + taxes (around 14% here in Canada) but after reading the reviews on harmony central on the tremoverb I began to thinka bout it. He is selling it 1400$ use no taxes since I would buy it from someone.

I like big distortion (strung out, thrice, bullet for my valentine, metallica)
but i also like versatility and a more hard rock sound (AC/DC, Guns N' Roses).

Any have tried them both??

Thank yu very much

webstersp said:
Should I pay 300$ more to get the tremoverb?...
Yeah, I would. First you have switch selection between tube or silicon rectifier, second: channel cloning, then third: it has tremolo, whether you use it or not.

Single Rectifier has none of these. But then again Single Rectifier owners will steer you its easy to obtain the tone they're looking for.

For me the Tube / Silicon rectifier is important to me. I want that option. Some could careless since the majority of the amps out there are solid state rectifier anyway.

RR said:
webstersp said:
Should I pay 300$ more to get the tremoverb?...
Yeah, I would. First you have switch selection between tube or silicon rectifier, second: channel cloning, then third: it has tremolo, whether you use it or not.

Single Rectifier has none of these. But then again Single Rectifier owners will steer you its easy to obtain the tone they're looking for.

For me the Tube / Silicon rectifier is important to me. I want that option. Some could careless since the majority of the amps out there are solid state rectifier anyway.

+1 You should weigh the features against what you are looking for. The TOV is a little more mid rangy but has a nice growl too it.

I'm not familiar with strung out, thrice, bullet for my valentine but for the rest of bands you mentioned either amp may not be for you. Not saying that the TOV or ROV won't provide a tone you'll like, but the Mark IV or Stiletto may be more of the sound in Mesa that your looking for. Don't know how much experience you have with Rectifiers, but they are kind of in a class by themselves.

I've tightened mine up and by adding EL-34's and will soon be adding a TS808 out front. That being said for bands like you mentioned I'm looking for either a JCM 900, Mark IV, or Stiletto to complement as a second amp to my DR.

Looking is half the fun anyway. Be patient, try as many things as you can, and then weight for the right deal.

Good luck!

webstersp said:
Should I pay 300$ more to get the tremoverb?
At first I was going to buy the single rectifier. They are selling it 1000$ + taxes (around 14% here in Canada) but after reading the reviews on harmony central on the tremoverb I began to thinka bout it. He is selling it 1400$ use no taxes since I would buy it from someone.

I like big distortion (strung out, thrice, bullet for my valentine, metallica)
but i also like versatility and a more hard rock sound (AC/DC, Guns N' Roses).

Any have tried them both??

Thank yu very much
I have a solo 50 head, and my vote would be to pay the extra $250-$300 for the extra options, if you have the extra cash....
I unfortunately did not have the extra cash, but we don't miss what we never had, and my single recto makes me a happy man!

My vote goes to the Trem-o-Verb. I had an early DR that I really liked, but once I tried the T-Verb I was hooked. I think if you like to play a variety of styles the T-Verb is way more versatile. The tremolo and reverb add some nice spice, but for me the real difference is the flexibility. I play everything from shred metal at maximum gain and volume, classic rock on the vintage setting, to country chicken pickin' and reverbed-out surf on the clean setting. Awesome amp! 8)

For what it's worth, I was pondering the same decision when a knowledgeable amp tech who works on Boogies said the TOVs have an inherent design flaw that will (IIRC) burn-out the screen grid resistors.

Again, not my experience, but the word of someone "in the know".

My vote is for the Single Rectifier, its easier to saturate the output power transformer and push the power stage tubes - only 50 watts, two tubes.

Besides, I would set to silicon rectifier anyway if I had that option betwen silicon and tube rectifier switch.

I don't need Tremolo.

Single Rectifier has three modes in the Channel 2: Raw, Vintage High Gain, Modern High Gain. ToV has only two in the Red Channel.

Gee, I like to debate subject with myself. :lol: (above)

dodger916 said:
For what it's worth, I was pondering the same decision when a knowledgeable amp tech who works on Boogies said the TOVs have an inherent design flaw that will (IIRC) burn-out the screen grid resistors.

Again, not my experience, but the word of someone "in the know".

This is true. Some of the early TOV's had bad LDR's (Light Dependent Resistor). Mesa replaced them on mine (when I owned one) for no charge.

RR said:
My vote is for the Single Rectifier, its easier to saturate the output power transformer and push the power stage tubes - only 50 watts, two tubes.

Besides, I would set to silicon rectifier anyway if I had that option betwen silicon and tube rectifier switch.

I don't need Tremolo.

Single Rectifier has three modes in the Channel 2: Raw, Vintage High Gain, Modern High Gain. ToV has only two in the Red Channel.

Gee, I like to debate subject with myself. :lol: (above)
It's nice to be vindicated...
it happens so seldomly :D

I actually chose correctly?
May wonders never cease!

Just return home with my tremoverb.
From the exterior the amp looks like brand new, superb I'm in love with it and it sound amazing!!
But there is a lot of dust on the inside where the tubes are.

I plugged it at very low vlolume to try it at home (I'm in an appartment so I'll crank her up at practice) and at low volume the amp sound noisy (hum noise), when I turn the reverb knob up I hear the sound (hum noise )louder.

Can i clean the dust inside myself, and maybe clean the contact (all knobs). Or should I bring it to a store and ask for a full checkup?

Thanx

my old tov developed the same problem. does your amp have a wierd looking black 12ax7 in the first slot? this is what mesa told me it needed. they sent me one for free and it fixed the problem. i think it's a super low noise graded tube or something. i'm really not a tech, and this was close to 15 years ago, so i may not remember all the details right. i think the tube was called a 12ax7spx and it had a black cover on the glass.

if6was9 said:
This is true. Some of the early TOV's had bad LDR's (Light Dependent Resistor).

Not exactly. They had a flaw in the power supply to the LDRs, which allowed them to draw too much current and die a premature death.

Has absolutely nothing to do with screen resistors, though.

Boogafunk said:
my old tov developed the same problem. does your amp have a wierd looking black 12ax7 in the first slot? this is what mesa told me it needed. they sent me one for free and it fixed the problem. i think it's a super low noise graded tube or something. i'm really not a tech, and this was close to 15 years ago, so i may not remember all the details right. i think the tube was called a 12ax7spx and it had a black cover on the glass.

The tube you are referring to is a SPAX7 - Which Mesa recommends for V1 for "higher overall performance, due to there low sensitivity to microphonic noise" Some people like them. I personally have never been a fan of these or Mesa Stock 12AX7's. But I do think buying used it's a good idea to retube with a fresh set of power and preamp tubes to diagnose any problems then. I bought a complete Mesa recommended preamp set and keep them as a back up. I thought for trouble shooting starting with what the amp was desinged around was a good place to start.

As far as dust goes, I think it's a good idea to remove the chasis from the shell clean the dust with cloth.

Back