dual rectifier settings HELP

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildrat666

Reaction score
Can anybody help me with some basic settings on a dual rectifier 3 channel head. I play metal like at the gates, soilwork, in flames, arch enemy, that type of metal. I also need a really clean sound.
It´s lot of switches on these machines, were shall i begin???

Review the amp setting's DB. Find something similar to what you want and work from there.

I use the amp settings DB for test driving different Mesa amps. That way I'm not in the store for an hour tweaking the amp, works pretty good.

http://www.grailtone.com/tone-settings/mesa-boogie/mesa-boogie-amp-settings.html

You're going to want to set the amp to bold, and then either tube rectifier or silicon diode....I prefer the tone of the tube rectifier, but the Silicon diode is slightly tighter...test to see which you prefer.

I only use channel 2 vintage on my Dual right now...(I'm in the process of selling it :wink:)...I just find all the other gain channels to be muddy and undefined.

So tweak with channel 2 vintage.....are you looking for a bright sound? scooped? A little more info would be great!

I´m not looking for a Too bright sound. I´m using right now a 5150 with my middle on 4-5. I´m getting a nice thick sound and i hate scooped mids. It is not working for me. i´m just searching for easy beginner settings like a nice clean sound(think fender)not too bright though, a good rhytm tight metal sound and a super tight metal sound(solo/lead).

wildrat666 said:
I´m not looking for a Too bright sound. I´m using right now a 5150 with my middle on 4-5. I´m getting a nice thick sound and i hate scooped mids. It is not working for me. i´m just searching for easy beginner settings like a nice clean sound(think fender)not too bright though, a good rhytm tight metal sound and a super tight metal sound(solo/lead).

You're barking up the wrong tree with that amp :p

yeah, i agree with platy. you'd be better off just buying something for your clean. fender twin or something. i think for the music you are playing the 5150 is probably a good choice. if i were you i would buy a good used fender and then use a clean boost for your solo work. the money you save invest it in a good guitar, you know one that doesn't have china crap wiring and paper clips for caps. or go mark series. but only you know what you want to hear. check it out maybe you might like it. i love 'em, but then again i play music that makes the little girlies want to take their panties off. :lol:

For powerful mids and a tight gain, the rectifer is NOT the right amp...you can do things to tighten it, but I went through this, and in the end, am switching amps anyways....you might want to save yourself the trouble and money and look elsewhere.

Russ said:
Sounds more like a desire for a Mark IV to me.

+1.

The only thing I can recommend is that you put a distortion pedal in front of the amp. They really tighten things up on rectos. Also, use EMG pickups, GZ34 aka 5u4g rectifier tubes, and/or set to Diodes and Bold.

If these don't give you a solution, then a Mark4 is in you future for sure. You can probably trade outright for one.

If you are running other than a Traditional cab sell it and get the Traditional cab. This will help tighten things up.

tobytheplatypus said:
im running my triple rec through a traynor ycs412 - 4 celestian vintage 30's, very tight (tested out a marsahll 1960a, was way too muddy)

Hey.. there's only room for one platypus here ;):p

What I would do would be to set everything at 12 o'clock

boost the gain to mayby 2 o'clock if it needs it

then work from there!!!

Remember these amps have their EQ's working together,say you boost one it will start to cut out another

and like the manual says

"The gain and treble are the most powerful controls in all three channels.They should be used with taste and you will find that the (there is a miss print adds in another 'the'.hhahaha)best sounds are found with these two controls set somewhere in their middle regions.Avoid setting the TREBLE above 2.00 when the GAIN in maxed as the possibility for noise and squealing from microphonic preamp tubes increases dramatically" page three of owner maual point no. 6

very true statement Mr Smith........Go try it for yoself!!!!
Its just soooo horrible

Euan[/b]

I had the same probelm. I went back and looked through the manuel and used it as a starting point. after switching to diade and a coupl eof sessions I am very pleased with my sound both clean and distorted. I even tried two good guitars to see if that would help. I ended up seeling my PRS and kept the Jackson SL1.. My next step is to put in a active high gain pickup and get rid of the annoying pickup in the middle. :)

Almost all the bands you referred play and recorded with 5150s

Try to put a tube screamer with almost no gain to control the lows

Latest posts

Back