Dual Rectifier into different cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishguy977

Reaction score
I currently have my Dual recto running into a Marshall JCM 900. My band has a couple of gigs coming up at some local dive bars and I do not want to lug around the huge assed 4x12 through a bunch of drunks. So I was thinking about getting a Valve Junior 1x12 extension cabinet for something cheap and smaller to play on those small stages. The max input in the valve junior extension cab is 75 watts RMS with one 16 ohm input. This would be ok to setup using the 16 ohm output on the Dual recto into the epiphone without damaging any electronics right? Help appreciated.

If you have a 16 ohm cab, using the 16 ohm output is just what the doctor ordered. Even the 8 ohm out put on your amp is O.K. Remember the rule on cab/ohm match mis-match: small goes into big O.K. Like 4 ohms into 8, 8 into 16. But, big can't go into small: 16 into 8, 8 into 4, ext.

I'm sure that particular 1x12 sounds great with your head, but I'd say 2x12's have a much throatier low-end response - and are EQUALLY portable. (The oversized 2x12 Recto cab is what I have, and that's the exception. Its HUGE for a 2x12 so I don't ever look forward to carrying it.) But any other 2x12 like a Marshall 1936 or Avatar will be just as easy to carry as the 1x12 but you will get an exponentially better sound and beef from your amp. I pumped high-gain amps out of a 1x12 for years in the beginning, because I couldn't afford a 4x12, and it always was farty and thin. It has a lot to do with the size and wood of the enclosure, but also because only one speaker is taking the full load from the poweramp.

Thanks Skunk and Fish. I figured it would work but wanted ask about it instead of being impatient and screwin up my ****. I did consider going for a Marshall 2x12 cab, but the Epiphone extension was only like $125 bucks. I went for the cheap route, and I am happy with the sound I get out of that little thing. It does lack bass, but the Mids are nice and clear and Treble is just the way I like it.

Back